Discretionary Housing Payments


What is Discretionary Housing Payment scheme?

It is a way of helping you if the Housing Benefit you get is not enough to pay your rent. Our Benefits section is responsible for the scheme and will decide whether or not you can get extra help.

Discretionary Housing Payments are not the same as Housing Benefit. They are special payments which come from a separate fund. Once the fund has been spent in any financial year no more Discretionary Housing Payments can be made.

How to Claim

Complete the Discretionary Housing Payment e-form.

When we get your form we will look at the information you have given; if we need more details we will write to you.

Don’t worry if you don’t have internet access, we provide internet access points, support and assistance at the Council House. We have a range of reasonable adjustments for disabled people to apply, so please contact us and tell us what works best for you.

The Award

Each application is treated on its own merits, although customers in particular circumstances who have had their Housing Benefit restricted because of the number of spare bedrooms they have may be given priority. This is because it would not be reasonable to expect them to move from their homes into smaller accommodation. These are:

  • foster carers
  • households where substantial disabled adaptations have been undertaken to meet the disability needs of a household member
  • households with a child who is unable to share a bedroom due to disability and where any of the following applies:
    • they are not entitled to the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or highest rate
    • the household is waiting for a DLA claim to be assessed
    • the child has a disability that may be particularly disruptive.

This is in accordance with our Discretionary Housing Payments Policy.

For all claims, we will consider things like:

  • the amount you get in housing benefit and the amount of rent you have to pay
  • any efforts you have made to reduce your rent
  • the financial and medical circumstances of you and anyone who lives with you
  • whether you are a foster carer or going through the approval process to be a foster carer or adoptive parent
  • the income and expenditure of you and anyone who lives with you
  • your savings investments and any held by anyone else living with you
  • any debts owed by you or anyone else who lives with you
  • if you have any exceptional circumstances
  • the amount of money we have available in the fund when we consider your application
  • whether you have accessed support from another Council discretionary fund or short-term funding from the Department for Work and Pensions or other organisations
  • any other special situations.

The amount of the Discretionary Housing Payment and the period of the award

We will tell you how much we have awarded and the period we have given it to you for.

You may not get as much as you need to pay your full rent or the award may not be for as long as you would like.

The Discretionary Housing Payment Fund is usually meant to help with short term emergencies. If you get an award there is no guarantee that another award will be made at a later date even if your circumstances have not changed.

How can I ask for a review of my Discretionary Housing Payment decision?

If you don’t agree with your Discretionary Housing Payment decision, you much ask for a review within 7 days of the date of your decision notice by completing the request a review of your DHP form.

If I don't get an award because there are no funds left, can I apply again?

If you are refused an award because of funding and your circumstances have not changed, you can apply again in the new financial year (this runs from 1st April to 31st March the following year). This will not guarantee an award as your claim will still have to go through the decision making process.


Privacy notice

We treat all the information you provide in confidence and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. For more information see our Privacy Notice.

Useful forms


Contact details

e-form: Online benefits account
Post address:
Derby Benefits
Customer Service Centre
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640444
Minicom: 01332 640666
Board and Lodge phone: 01332 640830
Fax: 01332 643299
Derby Benefits
Customer Service Centre
The Council House
Corporation Street