Registration - tattoos, piercing and electrolysis

You must register with us if you carry out any of the following procedures at your premises:

  • acupuncture
  • cosmetic piercing (body piercing)
  • electrolysis
  • semi-permanent make up
  • tattooing
  • any other invasive treatments.

 How do I register with you for skin piercing?

You must complete the Piercing - premises registration form to register your business and send this with the correct payment

You must complete the Piercing - personal registration form to register each member of staff who carries out treatments and send this with the correct payment.

Once we receive the registration form and fee an officer will contact you to arrange to carry out a health and safety inspection for your premises.

You can view our ‌Licensing Fees

Please follow these instructions on how to pay for your application.

There are costs for registration of:

  • business premises
  • each person registered to carry out the treatment.

Following the health and safety inspection, we will issue certificates to you to confirm that you have registered both the premises and the people carrying out the treatment.  These must be displayed in your premises to make customers aware that your business complies with health and safety legislation.

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health has issued a Tattooing and body piercing guidance: Toolkit on how to provide safe and hygienic tattooing and body piercing practices.

Useful forms