More Help and News

We understand that talking to many different services about your child's needs can be very confusing. To help we have put together a list of acronyms on our Glossary

Rolling News

10.11.2017 - Our 2017 Annual Report is here!

Please take a look at our Local Offer 2017 Report to find out what changes we have made to the site, what we have planned and some figures. This was out together based on the information we have gathered since owning the Local offer from April 2017.


06.11.2017- Consultation: Improving Provision for Children and Young People with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Derby City Council has developed proposals to improve provision for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).

Following very careful consideration and initial consultation with headteachers, parent representatives and SEND partners, proposals have been developed which include:

  1. Updating Enhanced Resource School and Special School Placement Criteria.
  2. A fresh look at specialist provision to ensure it is relevant to current needs of children and young people in Derby.
  3. Improving SEND pupil pathways and alignment between infant, junior and secondary Enhanced Resource School placements.
  4. Developing an Early Years Inclusion Fund for all Early Years providers as a single source of funding to support the inclusion of children with SEND.
  5. Capital investment to add and improve Enhanced Resource School provision at some schools.
  6. Updating Derby's Special Education Needs & Disabilities (SEND) Funding Bands so that the methodology for allocating SEND funding to schools reflects the proposed new placement criteria.

 There are no proposals to reduce overall funding for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

 The proposals will not affect pupils already on roll at Special Schools or Enhanced Resource Schools. The proposed changes, if approved, will apply to new placements made from September 2018 onwards.

 We are very interested to hear your views. If you would like complete the questionnaire online or read the SEND Consultation Document please go to


31.10.2017 - Find us on Facebook!

You can now like and follow us directly on Facebook. No need to miss out on any top news any longer, follow us now and keep up to date. 

30.10.2017 - Where you can find us next

The Local Offer team are due to attend St Clares School for the Derby National Autistic Society support group on the 23rd November, 7pm until 9pm. Keep checking this page for more updates on where we will be. If you want us to come and talk at your support group, school or college please use the contact details at the bottom of the page.

10.10.2017 - 'Parent Carers Together' Supporting the Local Offer

The Local Offer team are currently meeting regularly with the newly reformed Parent Carer's Together. These meetings are a chance for the forum and parent/carers they have spoken with to give their feedback to develop the Local Offer accordingly.  Don't forget you can give your Local Offer feedback at anytime using the feedback forms.

09.10.2017 -  Derby College Information Evenings 

Derby College are holding information evenings in 2017/2018 including Joseph Wright Campus, Broomfield Hall Campus, The Roundhouse Campus and the Ilkeston Campus.

Interested in going to Derby College next year?  Then click here to see more information about their Information Evening events and which campus can offer you the courses you want to do.

01.10.2017 - Contact A Family Re-branded

Contact a Family has been working with families of disabled children to develop a new look designed to extend its appeal to young families; make its information and online presence more accessible; and bolster the support it provides to families

The new brand is complete and is now known simply as Contact. 

Contact’s new website address is 

August 2017 - 'What Works' Research Reports

The Department has now published four research reports relating to SEND. 

Three of these come from the DfE-funded ‘What Works’ project, which looked at SEN support for pupils in mainstream schools and colleges.  The fourth looks at the wellbeing of secondary school pupils with SEN.  The reports can be downloaded below:


This section shows you the feedback we have been given and where we are at with making the changes.  Not all feedback points are listed (it would take up too much space) we will be putting all points in our latest report shortly.  


We want to hear from you

Don't forget we are always wanting your feedback.

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Derby City Council, The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby
Phone: 01332 640758