Next steps after school

SEND - Adulthood


This page is currently having some changes made to make it as useful as possible for young people. You will soon be able to find information about what support is available after year 11. This will include money and budgeting, independent living, and how to find apprenticeships and jobs.

 If you are a service linked to preparing for adulthood we would like to advertise what you do on The Local Offer. Please complete this form today. 


Do you want to live independently? 

You may be able to receive some money through a Disabled Facilities Grant 

cartoon of single person in a house

Other services that can help with housing needs are:

The PaH programme has produced this families version of the Preparing for Adulthood support tool to support parents, carers and wider family members to navigate the system of support and to prepare young people effectively for adulthood.

You can read more about Education Health and Care Plan's if you are 16-25 years old by clicking reading the governments useful website.

The Space @Connexions

The Space@Connexions is a service that provides information, advice, support to young people from 12 to 25 years old.

You can get advice and support on a range of issues including:

  • housing and homelessness
  • benefits
  • volunteering
  • drugs
  • welfare rights
  • mental health
  • sexual health

Hammer and pencil‌Employment

  • Volunteer Centre Derby  help and support people across the city who would like to volunteer. They also support organisations in Derby who involve volunteers on a day-to-day basis by giving support over the phone, by email and sometimes visiting project staff and volunteers in their own environment offering advice and information and getting a feel for how volunteers are involved and services are delivered
  • Job Centre Plus is the government job-finding website, with vacancies and information
  • Derby Evening Telegraph Jobsite is a popular local job search website for Derby
  • Apprenticeships offers  help and information about all aspects of apprenticeships and traineeships
  • ACAS provide information, advice, training, conciliation and other services for employers and employees to help prevent or resolve workplace problems.
  • Take a look at this helpful website for some top tips on looking for work.
  • I could
  • Remploy support people with a wide range of disabilities, health issues and barriers to work


Looking after your Money

Where do I start?

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia

You must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010.

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

Staying safe onlinecartoon group of people with one in a wheelchair         

Find out about young people's drop-in activities in Derby or you can search our Activities directory

Disability Direct’s project The Stuff promotes independence and social inclusion for young disabled people. If you are aged between 16 and 25 and are a disabled person living in Derby or Derbyshire, then this is the site for you!

Support using the internet

Why not take a look at our Cyber Crime pages. This will help you keep safe when surfing the internet using the computer or your phone.
You may also want to take a look at our online advice for parents page.


If you have been subject to inappropriate sexual contact you should report this to the police at the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre.
If you have been the victim of cyber bullying this can also be reported online using the report buttons on all social networking sites or offline to teachers and in some cases the Police. Don't keep it to yourself, there is support available so speak out and get help. 

Everyday living and social care

An adult social care assessment can help you find out what support you need and what help is available to you. You can ask for an Adult Social Care Assessment if :

  1. You live in derby
  2. You have physical or mental impairment or illness
  3. You need help to be able to do two or more of the following:
    • Eating, drinking and preparing meals
    • Personal care
    • Dress yourself correctly
    • Keep your home safe
    • Running and looking after the home
    • Develop and keep healthy relationships with family and other people
    • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
    • Use local facilities including public transport, parks and community centres
    • Care for a child

If you qualify for Adult Social Care support you can then have a financial assessment which will help decide if you have enough money for what you need. This may result in you receiving a personal budget from Adult Social Care or using the shared lives scheme.

If you receive Social Care support you may choose to use a personal assistant. You can find out more about personal assistants on our personal assistant information and advice page. Disability Direct also have a directory of registered care agencies.

Buy with Confidence

Buy With Confidence is a nationally recognised approved trader scheme which is available in Derby.

Local businesses are approved and vetted by Derby City Council Trading Standards Officers to help ensure they operate in a fair, legal and honest way. Traders include builders, plumbers, electricians, handypersons and many more. 

You can find more information on the Buy With Confidence scheme, or you can find an approved trader.
You can also call the Buy With Confidence team on 01332 642424.

Derby Adult Learning Service

Derby Adult Learning Service provides high quality education for adult learners. It aims to meet the needs of local communities and individuals, encouraging lifelong learning through partnership with other education and learning providers.

Want some help?

  • Child Line  is the free helpline for children and young people in the UK. Children and young people can call 0800 1111 to talk about any problems, including bullying, mental health, health, exams, eating disorders or families
  • The Samaritans - call 08457 90 90 90. They can provide emotional support 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair
  • Derbyshire LGBT+ is a voluntary agency offering free confidential advice, information and supportive listening for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals, including their families and friends
  • SENDIASS  - free advice on education, health and social care
  • Umbrella - free advice on education

Contacting Adult Social Care

If you need to contact adult social care or make a referral to the preparing for adulthood team, you can telephone 01332 640777 or email 


Click here to Return to the Local Offer Home Page 

Useful forms