Licence - boarding animals


What is a Boarding Animals Licence for?

You must get a Boarding Animals Licence from us if you wish to provide boarding accommodation – including private properties - for other people's dogs and cats.

Can anyone apply for a Boarding Animals Licence?

Yes, so long as you have not been previously disqualified under these acts...

How do I apply for a Boarding Animals Licence?

You must complete the Animal Boarding application form  and send this with the correct payment to the Licensing Team. Please follow these instructions on how to pay for your application.

We may use the information provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We also share this information for auditing purposes.

Will I need to apply for anything else

You may need other permissions in addition to those we require. You must obtain these before you begin your licensed activities.

Do I need planning permission?

Check if you need planning permission before you make a licence application by emailing Any change in the use of a property will require planning permission.

If you already have planning permission for the same use, you should check that your licence application does not break any condition attached to the planning permission. If your licence is granted, Planning Enforcement action will be taken against you if you do not have the right planning permission in place.

How much is a Boarding Animals Licence?

  • See our Licensing current fees for the current cost of a Boarding Animals Licence.
  • A Licence is valid for one year and runs from 1st January to 31st December.
  • You can apply at any time during that period.
  • An applicant can also apply for a Licence to be granted for the following calendar year.

How do I renew my Boarding Animals Licence?

You must complete the animal boarding - renewal application form and send this with the correct payment. Please follow these instructions on how to pay for your application.

How do you decide whether to grant a Boarding Animals Licence?

We take into account the following...

Whether the dogs have access to suitable accommodation at all times, taking into account:

  • the construction and size of the quarters
  • the number of animals kept
  • ventilation
  • cleanliness
  • exercise facilities
  • temperature and lighting.

Whether the animals will be suitably:

  • fed
  • watered
  • exercised
  • visited
  • supplied with adequate bedding material
  • that all reasonable steps are in place to prevent and control the spread of infectious or contagious diseases
  • whether appropriate steps will be taken to protect the animals in the event of a fire or other emergency.

Do you inspect the property as part of the application process?

Once we have received your completed application form, we will send an officer to inspect the premises.

A veterinary inspection may also be required. If this is carried out you will have to pay the relevant inspection fees.

What happens if my application is unsuccessful?

On certain occasions a vet may recommend that a licence is not issued.

If, after consideration, we agree and decide that a licence should not be issued, you have the right of appeal to the Magistrates' Court against the decision.

Looking after the welfare needs of the animals

You should make sure that all animals:

  • have a suitable environment (place to live)
  • have a suitable diet
  • are exhibiting normal behaviour patterns
  • are housed with or apart from other animals if applicable
  • are protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease.

What records do I need to keep?

The information about records is contained in the conditions attached to the licence. 

Records must be available for inspection by one of our officers or a veterinary surgeon.

Who is responsible for what in Animal Welfare?

A wide range of different organisations respond to calls from members of the public about different animal welfare problems and it can be very confusing to know who to report different problems to. This includes the police, local authorities, the RSPCA and Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency, but also includes social landlords and council teams whose primary responsibilities are not animal issues (e.g. social services).

Different bodies have different responsibilities and some have statutory powers to be able to take action. To ensure the best course of action is taken for an individual animal it is important that the right agency is contacted in the first instance.

The aim of this document is to provide an easy to understand guide of who to report different problems to so as to ensure the animal welfare issue is addressed as quickly as possible. It is hoped this document will be useful to not only members of the public but also those who deal with animal issues on a daily basis.

For further information see Who is responsible for what in Animal Welfare in our download section.

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Thursday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Friday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641951
Minicom: 01332 640666
Fax: 01332 643299
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street