Planning applications - residential


Do I need planning permission to build?

Do I need planning permission to build?

This is usually the first question we are asked when someone wants to carry out development work at their property. Some works do not need planning permission and can be carried out under the Permitted Development Rights. We have produced guidance notes broken down into different types of development work. Use the guides to check whether your proposal will or will not require planning permission:

Changes to Permitted Development Rights 2013:

On the 30th May 2013 The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2013 comes into force. This amendment introduces a number of temporary relaxations and/or new procedures for householder extensions, schools, changes of use, extensions to commercial premises, and the removal of prior approval for telecommunications apparatus in conservation areas.

For Householder extensions the new legislation relates to large single storey rear extensions:

  • between 3 metres and 6 metres for terraced/semi-detached houses (from rear wall of original dwelling)
  • or between 4 metres and 8 metres for detached houses. (from rear wall of original dwelling)
  • Further conditions/limitations will apply, please contact the Development Control Team.
  • Other information can be found on the Planning Portal – Larger Home Extensions

Important points:

  • The new changes require that applicants submit a Prior Notification application with a basic level of information for the application to be determined by the Local Planning Authority. Download the Prior Approval Form - Rear Extensions.
  • Your extension cannot be started until we have notified you that the Prior Approval has been approved by the local planning authority and / or within 42 days from the submission date.
  • Please note that that these changes are for a temporary 3 year period, and all development must be completed by 30th May 2016.
  • For Householder single storey rear extensions below 3 metres for terrace / semidetached houses and 4 metres for detached houses the existing Permitted Development Rights still apply (see guidance notes below).

There are a set of interactive houses on the Planning Portal website that also give advice:

  • Planning Portal Interactive Detached House
  • Planning Portal Interactive Terrace/Semi Detached House
  • Planning Portal Interactive Guide to Loft Conversions
  • Planning Portal Interactive Guide to Erecting Porches
  • Planning Portal Interactive Guide to Extensions
  • Planning Portal Interactive Guide to Outbuildings.

We advise that you always check with us that the proposal is permitted development. For a formal confirmation you should apply for a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Use or Development. This certificate is not a planning application, there is no requirement for us to consult the public, however we strongly advise you to talk to your neighbours about the proposal.

The Development Control Team in Derby:

  • controls development within the city through the planning guidelines
  • provides information and advice on the planning process to the people who live in, and carry out development, in Derby
  • processes all planning applications within the city

Investigates breaches of planning legislation through the Enforcement Team of:

  • new buildings
  • extensions to existing buildings 
  • change of use of buildings
  • work to listed buildings
  • control of certain advertisements and work to protect trees.

Development Control does not control how a building is constructed. Contact our Building Consultancy team that covers this, and they will help and advise you with the regulations on building construction

Duty Officer

Are you still unsure if you need permission or want general planning advice? We have a duty officer available Monday 10.00am to 4.00pm on an appointment basis. Contact Developement Control to make an appointment.

Appointments are limited to 20 minutes for each property and can be booked up to one month in advance.

The advice given will be objective, on the basis of the information available at the time. This might include information about relevant planning policies or standards and previous decisions. If you want to see the duty officer about a proposal, we suggest that, before your appointment you should, put your ideas on paper. Extensive plans are not required at this stage. We will then be able to interpret your ideas and suggest possible alterations.

How do I submit a planning application?

There are two ways to submit a planning application:

  • Apply online using the Planning Portal - The Planning Portal have provided a helpful service to submit your planning applications, they will also calculate your fee. With this method we will receive your application, plans and supporting documents straight into our planning system, speeding up the administration of your planning application.
  • Download the correct form from the planning application packs.

How we deal with planning applications

Viewing planning applications on line

We have two services available to search for planning applications within Derby.

Planning Appeals Register

To view the Planning Appeals Register please use our eplanning service

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Development Management
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640795
Development Management
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street