Housing with care

Housing with careAs you get older you may find that it is difficult to manage in your home. It might be possible to address some of your needs with aids and adaptations, such as:

  • grab rails
  • ramps
  • replacing a bath with a walk in shower.

For more information on adaptations visit our Adaptations and aids page.

Want to move?

If you decide that you want to move from your present home to more suitable housing we can provide advice and application forms for different types of housing in Derby. The types of housing available are:

  • General needs housing - an ordinary house or flat.
  • Sheltered or older persons housing also known as retirement housing - your own flat or bungalow in a block, or on a small estate, where all the other residents are older people, usually over 55. These provide independent, self-contained homes with their own front doors.
  • Residential care home- for people who cannot manage, even with a lot of support, to live in their own homes. There are two sorts of care homes:
    • Nursing homes - where there needs to be constant involvement of, or supervision by, a qualified nurse
    • Residential home - where care is provided all day and all night but there does not need to be a qualified nurse present all the time.

Please contact us if you think you might need to move into a care home. We will make sure you are aware of other support which could help you stay in your own home for longer if that would be better.

This can include:

  • care at home
  • support to get out and about
  • support, including short breaks, for people who look after you
  • technology to help keep you safe and well. This is called Telecare
  • alternative types of housing which include care and support such as 'Extra Care Housing'.

More information about general needs and sheltered housing can be found on the Derby Homefinder website.

For more information about Residential Homes in Derby, visit our Residential care homes page.

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Housing aims to meet the needs of frail older people and offers a range of care on site. It encourages independence and choice and help is available 24 hours a day. People who live in Extra Care Housing live in their own self contained homes and pay rent. It can provide you with an alternative to a residential care home.

Extra Care Housing often includes communal facilities such as residents' lounge, guest suite, laundry, restaurant and activity rooms. Domestic support and personal care are available on site.

For more information about Extra Care Housing in Derby, visit our Extra Care Housing page.

Contact details

Post address:
Adults, Health and Housing
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640777
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Services Centre
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street

On this page: