Council Tax - band reductions

What are Council Tax bands?

Your property will be placed into one of eight valuation bands based on its market value on 1st April 1991. All valuations are based on the sale price, with vacant possession, either as freehold or with a long lease and in a reasonable state of repair.

Valuations are carried out by the Valuation Office Agency. They are responsible for:

  • valuing properties
  • informing the Council
  • keeping a valuation list up to date.

How do I find out what band a property is in?

The valuation list shows every property and the band it's in.

You can view the list and look up the band of any property in the country by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website.

You can also look up bandings for properties in Derby using our Online Council Tax Service.

Can I get a Council Tax band reduction?

There are times when the band can be lowered, for example:

  • a part of the property is demolished
  • there has been a change that has reduced the value of the property, such as a motorway being built nearby
  • the property has been incorrectly banded.

If you believe your property is in the wrong band you can ask to have it changed. You can make a proposal to alter the band if you have moved to a property within the last six months or if your property has appeared on the valuation list in the last six months.

Generally a rise or fall in property prices will not result in the property changing bands.

If you think your property is in the wrong band, contact the local valuation office:

Council Tax East
Ground Floor
Ferrers House
Castle Meadow Road

Telephone: 03000 501 501
Fax: 03000 500 975

Can the band on a property be changed?

Changes can be made for:

  • material increases in value but these only apply to the new owner when the property is sold
  • material reductions in value, which will take effect immediately
  • the property becoming, or ceasing to be shared with, a business property
  • properties placed in the wrong band
  • changes ordered by a valuation tribunal or High Court.

The valuation list is amended on a monthly basis.

Useful forms

On this page: