Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support helps people who have a low income, or no income, to pay their Council Tax.

How do I claim Council Tax Support?

All claims for Council Tax Support - for those at working age and pensioners - are made online on the Derby Direct to You website.

Proposed change to the Council Tax Support Scheme from 1 April 2019

We held a public consultation about a proposed change to the Council Tax Support Scheme; this took place from 3 September 2018 to midnight 1 October 2018. 

The proposed change would only affect those at working age – pensioners are protected by separate legislation.

This consultation is now closed and we are looking at the feedback we have received about the proposals. 

Our new Scheme must be agreed by Council Cabinet for it to take effect from 1st April 2019.  The new Scheme will be published on the website when it has been agreed.

Help with managing your money

If you need assistance with managing your money confidential help, support and advice is available from: 

If you are in hardship, you can also apply for Council Tax Hardship assistance by using the Single Discretionary Award Scheme.

Useful documents

Council Tax Support 2018/19

Council Tax Support 2017/18

Council Tax Support 2016/17

Council Tax Support 2015/16

Council Tax Support 2014/15

Council Tax Support 2013/14


On this page: