We ensure that all retailers trade fairly. The types of retail premises this applies to include:
- shops and market stalls
- petrol stations
- supermarkets and megastores
- restaurants, cafés and mobile caterers
- bars, social clubs and night clubs
- estate agents
- travel agents
- auction houses
- vehicle sales premises.
We work to prevent unfair trading practices which put consumers at risk and disadvantage honest traders. We do this by carrying out inspections of retail premises. During these visits we ensure that:
- products such as toys, electrical goods and nightwear meet required safety standards
- products including food, jewellery, properties, package holidays and vehicles are adequately labelled and/or accurately displayed
- prices are correct and clearly displayed
- age restricted products such as alcohol, tobacco, fireworks and knives are not sold to people below the legal age limit
- weighing and measuring equipment used for trade, such as shop scales, petrol pumps, intoxicating liquor measuring instruments and weighbridges, are accurate
- all legally required notices are displayed to ensure that all relevant information is available to consumers.
The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues. Visit the Advice Guide website or call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06. If you wish to report a Trading Standards concern, you should do through the Citizens Advice consumer service who will then refer it to the Trading Standards team.