Licence - street collections


If you are collecting money for a charity or holding an event for charity you will need to obtain the necessary permits and permissions.

Permits for street collections

A Street Collection is where you are collecting money for a charity or organisation in a public place.

How do I apply for a permit?

Complete the street collections application form.

If you do not belong to the charitable organisation you want to collect for, you must send in a letter from the organisation with your application form. This letter must say that they agree to you collecting for them. Please check with us before you submit the form that the date you require is available, we will then make a provisional booking which will be held for 14 consecutive days, if we have not received your completed application form within that period the date will be released to another organisation.

  • you can only have one Street Collection Permit each year
  • there is to be a maximum number of 15 people collecting at anyone time
  • Street Collection Permits are provided free of charge
  • please allow one month for your permit to be issued.

Where can I do street collections in Derby?

In the centre of Derby, you can only collect in one of the following areas:

  • Victoria Street area including
    • Corn Market
    • Market Place
    • Iron Gate
    • Sadler Gate
    • Osnabruck Square.
  • St Peter’s Street area – including:
    • The Spot
    • East Street
    • Albion Street
  • Any route that is part of a charity event, for example a charity bed-push or walk.

You can apply for a permit for a street collection in any other area of the city.

When can I do a street collection?

Contact the Licensing Team to check availability of dates.

Do I need to complete any forms after the street collection has taken place?

Within one month of the collection you must:

  • complete the street collections accounts return form
  • get it signed by an independent responsible person, such as an accountant, doctor or teacher
  • list the names of the people who collected for you and how much was collected

We will send you this form when the permit is issued.

If you raise more than £500.00 after reasonable expenses, you must advertise the proceeds from the collection in the local press.

Do I need permission for other charity events?

You will need permission for events such as:

  • charity bed-pushes
  • carnivals
  • charity walks.

As well as informing us, you must contact:

  • the Chief Officer of Police, Derbyshire Constabulary, St Mary’s Wharf, Prime Parkway, Chester Green, Derby, DE1 3AB
  • the Highways and Transport Department on 01332 641824 or 01332 641825.

If the street collection is to be held in the city centre, you should also contact Spacehire using email: or telephone: 01332 640848.

Other events that require permission

You must also contact Spacehire for permission for:

  • direct debit collections
  • busking.

Permission for collecting in the Intu Derby Shopping Centre

Shopping areas in the city are privately controlled and therefore we do not issue permits for these areas, you must contact the Intu Derby Centre Manager for permission on 01332 366383.

Permission for collecting in the Market Hall

You must contact the Markets Officer for permission by email

Permission for selling goods in the street

If you want to sell goods in the street you may need a street traders licence or consent. If you hold a licence or consent you will still need a street collection permit for any charity collections you wish to hold.

You will also need to contact Spacehire for permission to have a stall or exhibition. A fee is charged for these activities.

You can contact Spacehire by emailing them: or by telephoning 01332 640848.

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Thursday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Friday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641951
Minicom: 01332 640666
Fax: 01332 643299
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street