Venue for civil marriage and civil partnership

We have moved

The Registration service has moved from Royal Oak House to the Council House. Wedding, naming and vow renewal ceremonies will continue to be held at Royal Oak house but all other services will now be at the Council House

Under The Marriages (Approved Premises) Regulations 1995 the owner or manager of any venue planning to host civil marriages and civil partnerships must have a licence.

How to apply for a licence

You must be the proprietor or a trustee of the premises to apply for permission to hold civil ceremonies or weddings.  Applications must be in writing (including by electronic means) and include:

  • the name and address of the applicant;
  • such other information as the Licensing Authority requires; and
  • a plan of the premises that clearly identifies the room or rooms in which the proceedings will be held.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulations relating to this approval can be found in Guidance on Venue Licenses for Civil Marriages and Partnerships   

How the Application will be processed

Your premises will be inspected by the Superintendent Registrar,  Derbyshire Fire Service and the Council's Licensing Inspectors.   Your application and plan will be made available to the public for inspection.

We will place a public notice of the application in the local newspaper  as part of a public consultation process.  There will be a 21 day period to allow for any objections.

To be granted, your application must be in the correct format and your premises deemed suitable.

Conditions may be imposed to your approval.

The Registrar General may issue guidance to the Licensing Authority to assist it in making its decision.

You can apply for approval of a civil marriage or civil ceremony premises by completing the Application form for a Venue License for Civil Marriages and Partnerships  .

The licence cost is £1300.00 plus £100 per additional room licensed.

What can I do if my application is not successful?

You have the right to seek a review of our refusal to grant your application.  Please contact us for more information.

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Customer Service Centre
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641680
Minicom: 01332 640666
The Council House
Corporation Street