Childcare Providers Business and Sufficiency


This page is designed for childcare providers with your business and sufficiency needs in mind. You can find information about relevant services that can support your business, and other organisations details to contact if you need to. You may wish to read our funding page for all things portal and funded childcare-related.

News and Reminders  

15.02.2019 - Are you promoting the Extended Entitlement or Tax Free Childcare within your settings? If so you might want to take a look at the Childcare Choices publication folder to support your social media promotion or websites. 

To ensure no children miss out on funding they are entitled to, can you please encourage parents to apply for their child's 30 hour voucher code before 31 March 2019 to claim the extended entitlement in summer term 2019.


Market Position Statements and Childcare Sufficiency Assessment

One of Derby City's Council statutory responsibilities under the Childcare Act 2006 is to carry out regular assessment to make sure there is enough high quality childcare in Derby, for parents who wish to take up their Free Early Education Entitlement for 2, 3 and 4 year olds and for parents who want to use childcare to enable them to return to work or access training. The Childcare Sufficiency Assessments (CSA) helps potential childcare providers and established childcare providers, as well as parents, to see the range and location of childcare available within Derby.

The Childcare and Families Information Team (CFIT) undertook a CSA in November 2017 which summarizes the availability of funded places for 2, 3 and 4 year olds and looks at the impact of the newly introduced extended entitlement for eligible 3 and 4 year olds. This CSA provides an early indication on the take up of the extended entitlement in the city, as well as the work undertake in readiness for the new offer and future priorities to address possible shortfalls in funded place availability. CFIT plan to review this CSA in April 2018 when more robust localised data will be available on the demand for and take up of the new offer. 

PACEY - Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years

PACEY is the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years. Formed in 1977, they are a charity dedicated to supporting everyone working in childcare and early years to provide high quality care and early learning for children and families.

PACEY provides training, practical help and expert advice to practitioners working throughout England and Wales. You can find a range of details regarding training courses and how to maintain a good quality provision by visiting their webpage.

Early Years Business Zone

Created by the sector for the sector, the Early Years Business Zone is a great new initiative that provides a dedicated, free to access, online resource that is tailored to the specific needs of early years businesses. Visit Early Years Business Zone now. 

Wrap Around Holiday Childcare - Parents and Provider 'Right to Request'

The DfE are encouraging all schools to make their facilities available for use by the wider community. This includes Wraparound care (breakfast clubs and afterschool clubs) and school holiday care, with the aim of helping parents work or work longer. 

The DfE have provided guidance for schools regarding the right to request wraparound and holiday childcare. This will also be of interest to parents and childcare providers, wishing to understand what schools are expected to do as a result of receiving requests.

Parents’ may request that the school their child attends considers establishing wraparound and / or holiday childcare, and childcare providers’ may request to use school facilities for wraparound and / or holiday provision at times when the school is not using them.

These ‘rights to request’ refer to children from Reception up to the end of Key 6. A parent’s ‘right to request’ refers only to the school that their child attends.


It is worth noting that The Tax Office can support you through a range of issues such as budgeting for your self assessment tax bill if you are self-employed.

They can also provide general tax advice for childminders.


For any issues regards to quality, insurance and qualifications or for detailed information about your registration, please contact Ofsted directly on 0300 123 1231. If you have any safeguarding incidents to report please also contact Ofsted as soon as possible keeping records of these contacts. 

Criminal Record Checks for Childcare Workers 

More details about DBS checks. This includes how to get a DBS check if you want to look after children for a living, who needs a check, how long it takes and what you will need. 

I’m interested in becoming a childcare provider - how do I get advice?

Our Families Information Service gives advice to anyone who wants to start offering childcare in Derby. Whether you want to be a childminder or would like to set up a day nursery, pre-school playgroup or out of school club, the Families Information Service can help.

The Families Information Service runs briefing sessions where you can find out how to apply to become a registered childcare provider and what support and training is available.

You can find out more information prior to the session.


Contact details

Post address:
Families Information Service Derby City Council The Council House Corporation Street Derby DE1 2FS
Phone: 01332 640758
Families Information Service
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street