Anti social behaviour and nuisance

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) in Derby is defined as ‘unreasonable behaviour which causes or is capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to some person (who need not be a particular identified person)’.

ASB may be criminal in nature, for example criminal damage to personal property, but this not always be the case. ASB may affect one household, but may affect many members of the community.

Anti-social behaviour can include, but is not limited to:

  • noise nuisance
  • verbal abuse
  • gathering in groups
  • damage to property
  • rubbish or litter lying about
  • being drunk or rowdy in public
  • graffiti
  • people using or dealing drugs.

How can I raise my concerns and priorities about anti-social behaviour

In Derby, there is a range of ways for you to tell us about your concerns and priorities so that we can tackle anti-social behaviour effectively.

The Police have Safer Neighbourhood Teams in every area in Derby that are dedicated to tackling local problems, including anti-social behaviour. You can phone your local team or contact them at a local police station or office.

The Safer Neighbourhood Teams also take part at important community meetings, like Neighbourhood Forums. These are public meetings held at a local venue every three to four months. Forums help the team to:

  • find out what really matters to local people
  • decide what the local policing priorities should be.

The meetings are also an opportunity for you to have your say about what we should be doing.

Your local councillors and your Neighbourhood Manager also attend Neighbourhood Forum meetings – everyone is encouraged to attend.

Derby Homes and other housing providers have officers who can address anti-social behaviour problems about their premises, tenants and areas (and also non-tenants in some circumstances), and also offer victims extra help and support.

Derby City Council provides services to tackle issues such as noise nuisance, fly-tipping, littering, fly-posting and graffiti. Our Anti-Social Behaviour Team works with the police and other organisations to deal with people who commit anti-social behaviour and to prevent it from happening again. There is a dedicated Victim and Witness Support Officer for people who need extra help and support.

How can I report anti-social behaviour?

You can report it in a number of ways.

Report it to the police:

  • For non-emergency incidents, including anti-social behaviour, to the police, call 101.
  • In an emergency, call 999. An emergency is when:
    • a crime is happening
    • someone suspected of a crime is nearby
    • someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

Contact your local Police Safer Neighbourhood Team:

  • call 101
  • visit Derbyshire Constabulary's website for useful information about your team and the policing priorities in your area.

To report noise nuisance, fly-tipping, abandoned vehicles or graffiti:

Contact your Neighbourhood Team by:

If you are a Derby Homes tenant, you can either:

Useful information

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service - find important advice about community and home safety, which includes advice on tackling anti-social behaviour. 

GOV.UK - find information about anti-social behaviour and crime.

To report information about a crime without leaving your name or details, contact the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

On this page: