Marriage - registering a building of worship

How can I register a building of worship?Wedding venue

Under the provision of the Places of Worship Registration Act 1855, a congregation may apply for a building to be a certified building of worship. You must apply to the Superintendent Registrar in the district where the venue is situated. This excludes churches or chapels of the Church of England, unless it shares a church building with another religious denomination.

The person who acts as 'minister', 'proprietor' or 'trustee' at the place of worship will need to complete two copies of the form for certifying a place of meeting for religious worship which should be sent to the Register Office. With the form, you will need to send:

  • a sketch of the floor plan identifying the main buildings and internal communication within the buildings, such as rooms, doors and stairs
  • an average weekly timetable of uses will be required showing secular as well as religious activities.

The cost for registration will be £28.

How do I register a place of religious worship for religious marriage ceremonies?

You can apply for a place of worship to become a venue where marriages can take place. You should complete the Guidance on how to certify a building for religious worship and register it for the solemnisation of marriages. This should be done at the same time as the original application for a place of worship (form for certifying a place of meeting for religious worship). An application can only be agreed after the date a building is certified as a place of worship.

Form 78 needs signatures of 20 separate householders who say that the building is their usual place of worship and that they desire it to be registered for the 'solemnization' (the performance of a ceremony) for marriages. The Registrar General's office will also need a full copy of the marriage ceremony proposed showing exactly what the bride and groom will say to each other. A statutory fee of £120.00 is payable.

Once the information is received at Derby Register Office, the information will be sent to the General Register Office (GRO) for their authorisation.

Once the GRO certify a building for worship and marriage, the local Register Office is required to advertise the new place of worship in the local newspaper. We will send the applicant the certificate stating that the building is now a place for worship and marriage and confirm once it has been approved by the GRO.

If the place of worship is in disuse or another minister/proprietor takes over the place of worship, Form 77 should be completed. Contact us for a form. The process outlined above for registering a place of worship (Form for certifying a place of meeting for religious worship) would have to be conducted again. Re-registration is not required if the building is demolished and rebuilt.

If you would like more information, please contact us.

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Thursday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm
Saturday Ceremonies by appointment only
Sunday Closed

Contact details

Post address:
Customer Service Centre
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641680
Minicom: 01332 640666
The Council House
Corporation Street