Complaints procedure - local councillors

How do I make a complaint about the behaviour of a local councillor?

You need to complete a Complain about a Councillor form and send it to the Monitoring Officer. Or you can email your complaint to:

You need to say who the complaint is about and why you think that the councillor has not followed the Members' Code of Conduct.

A councillor may not have followed the code if they have:

  • failed to treat people with respect, or done something to prevent those who work for the authority from being unbiased
  • done something which may cause the authority to breach equality laws
  • bullied or intimidated someone
  • revealed information that was given to them in confidence or stopped someone getting information that they were entitled to by law
  • damaged the reputation of their office or authority
  • used their position to their own advantage or to someone else's advantage or disadvantage
  • allowed the authority's resources to be misused
  • failed to register a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest (DPI)
  • taken part in a meeting or made a judgement or a decision at a meeting where he has neither registered or declared a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest
  • failed to tell the authority's Monitoring Officer about any gifts or hospitality they have received worth over £100.

Once you have made a complaint you will be told in writing what will happen to it.

What happens next?

Stage 1

The Monitoring Officer decides, in consultation with the Independent Person appointed by the Council, if the complaint is a legitimate one that warrants an investigation.

Stage 2

The Monitoring Officer appoints an Investigator to investigate the complaint. The Investigator will interview the complainant, Members complained of and other relevant people.

The Investigator will then compile a report which will say whether he considers the Code has been breached or not.

Stage 3

The Monitoring Officer will consider the Investigator's report and decide, with the Independent Person, if the matter should be referred to the Council's Standards Committee.

Stage 4

There will be a hearing before the Council's Standards Committee who then decide if a breach of the Code has occurred and if so what the sanction will be.

Stage 5

The Standards Committee decision will be published on our website.

Once the Monitoring Officer or Standards Committee has made a final decision, the complainant and members involved will be informed with reasons for the decision.

Contact details

Post address:
The Monitoring Officer
Constitutional Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Minicom: 01332 256666
The Monitoring Officer
Constitutional Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street

On this page: