Complaints - procedure

We want to provide the best possible services for the people of Derby. To achieve this we have a customer feedback policy and procedure in place to investigate complaints about the services we provide.

If you're not happy with a service we provide please let us know. Then if we've done something wrong, we can either put it right or make changes to stop it happening again.

If you want to discuss a complaint, please contact us.

Which Council services does the Customer Feedback procedure cover?

The Customer Feedback procedure covers most of our services including Children and Adult social care matters. However, we do deal with other complaints - about schools, Derby Homes and councillors - under different procedures. If you need more information about this, contact us.

How do I make a complaint?

If you've got a complaint, you should first tell the department that's responsible. The department will try to sort it out and will aim to get back to you within 10 working days.

For complaints regarding Adult Social Care please see our separate Adult Social Care Complaints page.


If you're not happy with the department's response, you can make a formal complaint. This is the first stage of the complaints procedure.

You can make a complaint by:

  • using the online customer feedback form
  • using the ‘Have your say’ forms, available from all Council receptions
  • post, using the address at the bottom of the page
  • telephone 01332 643498 Minicom 01332 640666
  • visiting the Council house and speaking to one of our Customer Service advisors.

Please make sure you include your full name, address and telephone number so that we can contact you to discuss your complaint.

When we receive your formal complaint, the Customer Service team will log your complaint on our system and ask a manager in the department to investigate your complaint. It is usually possible for us to respond to a formal complaint in ten working days but, if we need more time to deal with your complaint, we will let you know.


If you're not happy with the response you receive from the manager who investigated your complaint, you can ask us to consider it under the second stage of the complaints procedure. To do this, you have to write and tell us why you are unhappy with the first stage investigation.

Under the second stage of the complaints procedure, the Customer Services team will ask a manager that has not already been involved in your complaint to look over your complaint again to ensure that the initial investigation was carried out properly and effectively.

Complaining to the Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman is an independent organisation that central government has set up to investigate complaints about Council services.

For more information call their Adviceline on 0300 061 0614 or visit the Local Government Ombudsman website.
Unless the complaint falls within certain exceptions, the Ombudsman will expect you to go through both stages of the Council’s complaints procedure first.

Useful forms


Contact details

e-form: Complaint form
Post address:
Customer Feedback
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 643498
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Feedback
The Council House
Corporation Street