Voting Safely at the PCC and Local Elections
Polling stations will be open across Derby on 6 May 2021 but there may be changes to some venues. We will be putting in place measures to help keep everyone stay safe at the polling station.
Check the location of your polling station before setting off as you may need to go to a different place to vote this year. You can check this on your poll card or at wheredoivote.co.uk. You must vote at your polling station - you cannot vote at another station.
If you have not received an official poll card for these elections please register to vote by Monday 19 April 2021.
- You must not attend the polling station if you have symptoms of COVID-19 or have been asked to self-isolate due to a positive test or contact tracing. You can still cast your vote by applying for an emergency proxy before 5pm. Call 01332 640837 to request a form.
- A face covering must be worn inside the polling station unless you are exempt.
- Please bring a pen or pencil to mark the ballot paper. Pencils will also be available in the polling station and will be sanitized after each use.
- There will be restrictions on the number of voters admitted to a station at any one time.
- Social distancing will be enforced while queuing and throughout the voting process. Please adhere to any one-way systems, floor markings, signage, and any instructions from polling station staff.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided upon entry and exit of the polling station. Voting booths, pencils, door handles and frequently touched surfaces will be cleaned regularly.
- There will be a clear perspex screen to protect staff and voters at each voting table
These measures may mean you have to queue or wait for longer than usual to be able to cast your vote. Try to avoid busy times if you can, like before and after work, after the school run and lunchtime.
Voting by post or proxy
Any registered voter may request a postal vote by completing an application form and returning a copy by email to PostalVoting@derby.gov.uk or by post to the address below. We must receive your completed postal vote application no later than 5pm on Tuesday 20th April 2021.
If you cannot attend the polling station you may appoint someone to vote on your behalf – known as a proxy. To do so please complete a proxy application form and return it by email to ProxyVoting@derby.gov.uk or by post to the address below. We must receive your completed proxy vote application no later than 5pm on Tuesday 27th April 2021.
The address for applications returned by post is: Electoral Registration Officer, The Council House, Derby, DE1 2FS.
You must be registered to vote before you can apply for a postal or proxy vote. To register please visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote by Monday 19th April to register to vote.