Complaints procedure

We want to provide the best possible services for the people of Derby. To achieve this we have a customer feedback policy and procedure in place to investigate complaints about the services we provide.

If you're not happy with a service we provide please let us know. Then if we've done something wrong, we can either put it right or make changes to stop it happening again.

If you want to discuss a complaint, please contact us.

Which Council services does the Customer Feedback procedure cover?

The Customer Feedback procedure covers most of our services including Children and Adult social care matters. However, we do deal with other complaints - about schools, Derby Homes and councillors - under different procedures. If you need more information about this, contact us.

How do I make a complaint?

If you've got a complaint, you should first tell the department that's responsible. The department will try to sort it out and will aim to get back to you within 10 working days.

For complaints regarding Adult Social Care please see our separate Adult Social Care Complaints page.


If you're not happy with the department's response, you can make a formal complaint. This is the first stage of the complaints procedure.

You can make a complaint by:

  • using our online form
  • using the ‘Have your say’ forms, available from all Council receptions
  • post, using the address at the bottom of the page
  • telephone 01332 643498 Minicom 01332 640666
  • visiting the Council house and speaking to one of our Customer Service advisors.

Please make sure you include your full name, address and telephone number so that we can contact you to discuss your complaint.

When we receive your formal complaint, the Customer Service team will log your complaint on our system and ask a manager in the department to investigate your complaint. It is usually possible for us to respond to a formal complaint in ten working days but, if we need more time to deal with your complaint, we will let you know.


If you're not happy with the response you receive from the manager who investigated your complaint, you can ask us to consider it under the second stage of the complaints procedure. To do this, you have to write and tell us why you are unhappy with the first stage investigation.

Under the second stage of the complaints procedure, the Customer Services team will ask a manager that has not already been involved in your complaint to look over your complaint again to ensure that the initial investigation was carried out properly and effectively.

Complaining to the Local Government Ombudsman

If you have been through all stages of our complaints procedure and are still unhappy, you can ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to review your complaint.

The Ombudsman investigates complaints in a fair and independent way - it does not take sides. It is a free service.

The Ombudsman expects you to have given us chance to deal with your complaint, before you contact them. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable time, it may decide to look into your complaint anyway. This is usually up to 12 weeks but can be longer for social care complaints that follow a statutory process.

About the Ombudsman

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman is the final stage for complaints about councils and some other organisations providing local public services. It also investigates complaints about all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) for people who self-fund their care.

Contact the Ombudsman

  • Website:
  • Telephone: 0300 061 0614
  • Text 'call back' to 0762 481 1595
  • Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm (except public holidays)


Contact details

e-form: Complaint form
Post address:
Customer Feedback
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 643498
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Feedback
The Council House
Corporation Street