Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 cases are rising in Derby - read the latest COVID-19 guidance.

Becoming an adult and preparing for the future

You may be asking 'What can I do after Year 11 in school? This page includes information about colleges and apprenticeships in and around Derby.

If you are aged 19 to 25 years old you can find out more about Education, Health and Care Plan's on the GOV.UK SEND 19-25 year olds entitlement to EHC plans web page.

Who to speak to?

The Space@Connexions provides information, advice and support to young people from 12 to 25 years old on many topics.

If you are aged 16 to 19 years old you might be able to get some extra money called a bursary to help you while you are at college, sixth form or training, you can find out more on the GOV.UK 16-19 Bursary Fund web page.

If you choose to go to University, you might be entitled to some help with paying the costs. More information on what support is available and how you can apply for it can be found on the GOV.UK Extra money to pay for university page 

You may be entitled to the Disabled Students Allowance if you are staying in some sort of training.

You can also speak to a social care worker in the Preparing for Adulthood team. Download the Preparing for Adulthood leaflet for more information on support offered by the team and details of how to get in touch.

Derby Adult Learning Service

Derby Adult Learning Service provides high quality education for adult learners. It aims to meet the needs of local communities and individuals, encouraging lifelong learning through partnership with other education and learning providers.

Finding a job or any type of work can be tricky; do not be afraid to ask for help. We have put together a document of top tips for work that should help you find out how you can get help. The guide should give details of how to find apprenticeships, tips of getting a job, and services that can help you.

The Department for Work and Pensions have also created a Guide to help and support young disabled people to find and stay in work which provides links to websites that can help young disabled people, their parents and the professionals who work with them.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) has created 3 short films to help young people aged 11-25 years old with learning disabilities, learn about relationships and staying safe.

We advise that you watch them with your parents, carers or other adult professionals. This enables adults to start conversations with you about feelings, privacy and boundaries, friendships, different kinds of love and online safety.

The three films featuring Ash, her friend Jim and her sister Steph are called:

  • Film 1: You, me and us shows Ash, her friend Jim and her sister Steph talking about how different experiences and relationships make them feel.
  • Film 2: PANTS explains that private parts are private and talks about personal boundaries. Steph teaches Ash and Jim that it’s OK to say “no” if you don’t want to do something, and they discuss different ways of saying “no”.
  • Film 3: Changes and choices builds on the understanding that young people have developed through exploring the previous two films. This film is best suited for young people who are beginning to spend time on their own or working towards living independently.

You can watch the films separately or altogether, although it’s most helpful to work through them in the order.

Each film is designed to open up different ways of talking about different topics. They are to be used as part of your ongoing discussions about growing up, relationships and emotions.

The NSPCC has full details and further resources to support these films.

Helpful links

Brook Young People's Information Service is an information, support and signposting service for young people under 25 on sexual health. They also run a confidential enquiry service via the Brook website.

R U Thinking? - a website especially for under 18s. The website gives information on contraception, sex and relationships. It allows you to search for services anywhere in the UK. The helpline is 0800 28 29 30.

There are many services that can help with housing needs. You can search for them using our housing information search

How to afford independent living?

You may be able to receive some money to help you live independently through a Disabled Facilities Grant.

Our housing team also have a useful webpage with a range of housing advice for young people on it.

There are some jobs you will need to do if you choose to live alone. You can read our top tips for Chores that might help.

Help paying for housing 

Find out more by seeing what the below services can offer:

Are you struggling or facing homelessness?

If you find yourself without money or food, there is emergency support from food banks. You can also contact Shelter for support with homelessness, please do not be afraid to ask for help.

Activities and things to do

Find out about young people's drop-in activities in Derby or you can search our Activities directory.

Stay safe on the internet

Why not take a look at our Cyber Crime pages. This will help you keep safe when surfing the internet using the computer or your phone.

You may also want to take a look at our online advice for parents page.


If you have been subject to inappropriate sexual contact you should report this to the police at the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre.

If you have been the victim of cyber bullying this can also be reported online using the report buttons on all social networking sites or offline to teachers and in some cases the Police. Don't keep it to yourself, there is support available so speak out and get help.

Social care

An adult social care assessment can help you find out what support you need and what help is available to you. You can ask for an Adult Social Care Assessment if:

  1. You live in Derby
  2. You have physical or mental impairment or illness
  3. You need help to be able to do two or more of the following:
    1. Eating, drinking and preparing meals
    2. Personal care
    3. Dress yourself correctly
    4. Keep your home safe
    5. Running and looking after the home
    6. Develop and keep healthy relationships with family and other people
    7. Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
    8. Use local facilities including public transport, parks and community centres
    9. Care for a child

If you qualify for Adult Social Care support you can then have a financial assessment which will help decide if you have enough money for what you need. This may result in you receiving a personal budget from Adult Social Care or using the shared lives scheme. Remember you are entitled to support and can find out more by reading this easy read guide about Support for Young People

If you receive Social Care support you may choose to use a personal assistant. You can find out more about personal assistants on our personal assistant information and advice page. Disability Direct also have a directory of registered care agencies.

Contacting Adult Social Care

If you need to contact adult social care or make a referral to the preparing for adulthood team, you can telephone 01332 640777 or email DDAdultSocialCare@derby.gov.uk.

You can also read our Joint Strategic Needs Assessment.