Living my best life
Our vision is for every child and young person with special educational needs and disabilities in Derby to live their best life.
We've developed a strategy in co-production with the whole local area to help us to come up with a series of priorities that we think will help to make this vision a reality. To help us put this strategy into place we are developing our local area action.
Our five priorities:
How we work together as a local area
- We are professionally generous and open.
- Children and young people come first.
- As a local area we work together to co-construct new policies and practices.
- Parents, carers and young people are respected as experts by experience.
Inclusive schools and settings
- All schools and settings thrive to inclusion.
- Any SEND is identified as early as possible and support is offered to meet needs in the mainstream school or setting.
- Any services work for the whole family close to home.
- Parents and carers are listened to which enables the child’s needs to be recognised early and being treated as individuals.
- There is evidence of continuous development of the graduated response, and we learn from best international practice in the education system.
- Excellent policy making contributes to the inclusion and outcomes of children and young people in settings.
Wider support for families
- We apply strength-based approaches, building resilience to new experiences.
- We support families through advocacy and with the focus of supporting the whole family, siblings' groups and friendship groups.
- We offer a choice of accessible communication for all.
Personalised pathways for a good life
- We identify any need that the child or young person may have at the earliest possible stage.
- We meet these identified needs via the graduated response and by the integration of education, health social care pathways, removing any barriers to learning.
- We know whether the children and young people, and their families, are having a good life through face to face and virtual selection of their choice, to bring us their feedback.
Successful lives - preparing for adulthood
- Employment - careers information and guidance to support young people with SEND.
- Good health – young people are supported to manage their own health as they move into adulthood.
- Independent lives – young people are prepared for living their lives independently and options are considered early on.
- Young people are supported with friends, relationships and community inclusion.
- Preparing for adulthood outcomes focus on person-centred reviews from year 9 onwards.