Independent travel training
Derby's Independent Travel Training offers young people with special educational needs or disabilities a set of essential skills to enable them to travel independently.
Travel Trainers will develop a tailor-made training programme to gradually develop independence on a specific route to and from school or college. They usually work with a learner for about 10 return sessions, gradually developing their independence through accompanied, close and distance shadowed journeys.
Independent Travel Training offers many benefits to students:
- promotes independence and enables students to access positive social activities
- increases confidence and helps them to feel safer in their community
- helps to improve social skills and maintain relationships
- opens up many routes to further education, employment or leisure.
What support is available?
The travel training programme will provide students with a wide ranging package of support, including:
- coping with traffic and road safety
- learning the highway code
- confidence in using buses and trains
- journey planning
- how to use timetables and visual aids
- where to get help
- personal safety
- money skills.
Once the training is complete, the student will receive a certificate in recognition of the fundamental life skills they have gained and the hard work they have put into the training.
For more information, read our Independent Travel Training leaflet.
Making a referral
If you would like to refer a student for Independent Travel Training, or if you are a school that wants to provide Independent Travel Training to your pupils, contact the Home to School Travel team:
Telephone: 01332 642716
Relay UK: 18001 01332 640758