Coronavirus (COVID-19)

National restrictions are in place - check out the latest COVID-19 guidance.

Accessing travel support

The Department for Education has a Coronavirus Helpline for staff, parents and young people. it is available between 8.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday: Phone: 0800 046 8687 or email: DfE.coronavirushelpline@education.gov.uk.

01/05/2020 - Transport to school social story

This Social Story has been produced by Davinia Hammersley (Advisory Teacher for Autism, Social Communication and Autism Team, STePS) using Widgit Online. It has been created as an example. Parents and carers can have a 30 day online trial and create their own social stories if they want to change the content to suit their CYP and their individual situation. Further information about these widgits can be found on the Local Offer. Carol Gray has more information on using and writing social stories.

Find out about what help with transport to school may be available for your child or young person.

Independent Travel Training is a scheme in Derby, which teaches young people with special educational needs how to get around the city safely. Why not take a look at our Independent Travel Training Leaflet.

We encourage all young people to learn about and use low cost travel, such as walking and cycling, when travelling around the city.

Being able to confidently use public transport will increase your independence and confidence. It will improve your social skills and opens up routes to further education, employment and leisure.

  • Bikeability - a scheme free to all schools offering adapted bikes and support.
  • Gold Card - a free off-peak bus pass for eligible Derby residents who are under 60 and have a disability.
  • B-line card - a card which provides discounted travel for young people aged 11 up to their 19th birthday who live in Derby and are in full-time education, at school or college.
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children - if your child has difficulty getting about you may be able to claim the mobility component of the DLA. The rate is dependent on the level of help they need.
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - similar to the DLA for young people over 16 years and includes a mobility component to help with getting around.
  • The Motability Scheme - a scheme which can help you lease a car if your child is aged three or over and is gets either the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or enhanced mobility component of Personal Independence Payment. The car is to be used for the benefit of the child.
  • 16-19 Bursary - financial support available for students aged 16 to 19 years in further education. Students who are disabled may be eligible. Apply directly to your learning provider.
  • Blue Badge - the aim of the scheme is to help disabled people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services, by allowing them to park close to their destination. The scheme is open to eligible disabled people irrespective of whether they are travelling as a driver or as a passenger.
  • Wheels 2 Work/Wheels to Learn - a low cost scooter and bicycle hire scheme that can provide access to work, education and training where public transport is not available.
  • Home to school/college transport - students with special educational needs/learning difficulty and/or disability can ask for help with transport from home to school or college up to the end of the term in which they reach the age of 25.
  • Other financial bursaries - students aged 19 or over could still be eligible for a bursary depending on your personal circumstances. Enquire to your learning provider.

Under certain circumstances we will provide assistance with travel to school or college for children and young people, our policies can be found in the links below, which detail eligibility and the application process. The 2020-21 Home to School Transport Assistance Policydocument is applicable up to and including Year 11 pupils. The 2020-21 Post 16 Transport Policy Statement is applicable for students from Year 12 and beyond.

Further guidance on school transport can be found in Section 9 of the SEND Code of Practice 2015. You may also want to read:

If you are still not sure how you will travel to college you may want to read Travel Support Information Sheet for college students.

Other travel support for students (not limited to children/young people with additional needs):

  • Arriva Midlands Student Bus Pass - students studying full-time at universities, colleges or sixth form schools.
  • Mango card - available on Trent Barton buses for travel throughout the Derby City area.
  • Spectrum - an all-day multi-operator bus travel ticket for Derby available on Arriva, Trent Barton, Notts and Derby and Little's services.
  • Public transport information and advice - for support from other transport operators, please contact them directly.


Home to School Travel


01332 642716

Relay UK:

18001 01332 640758


Signing service


Derby City Council
Council House
Corporation Street