Special educational needs - transport
Travel Assistance to school may be available for children with Special Educational Needs (SEN) who:
- are under eight years old and live more than two miles from school
- are eight to 16 years old who live more than three miles from school
- are at secondary school and from a family that gets the maximum level of working tax credit or free school meals and live two to six miles from school
- cannot reasonably be expected to walk to school because of their mobility problems or their health and safety concerns related to their SEN, disability or mobility issues.
We offer a range of help and support for transport:
- A travel pass or season ticket which allows one free journey to and from school each day
- Independent Travel Training (ITT): support for young people to be able to access public transport independently.
- Fuel Allowance: Where pupils qualify for Home to School Travel assistance, parents can request the Council to consider reimbursing fuel costs.
- Other types of travel assistance may be available such as a personal budget or a seat in a mini bus or taxi.
For more information on the types of travel assistance please see the:
Alternatively, contact the Home to School Travel Team:
Students over 16 can get travel assistance from home to college, up to the end of the term they reach the age of 25 if they meet all the following requirements:
- Students must have an Education Health and Care Plan and be unable to use existing public or college transport, and
- The college must be named within their EHC plan, as the nearest appropriate school/college for their post 16 education, and
- The student must be attending college on a full-time basis (at least 16 hours teaching per week).
For more information on the types of travel assistance please see the Post 16 Transport Policy Statement - 2020-21 or contact the Home to School Travel Team:
Where transport assistance is provided, it will only be provided from home to school/college and up to the end of the term in which the learner reaches the age of 25.
If you live in Derby City, and you would like to request travel assistance, please complete an application form:
Alternatively, contact the Home to School Travel Team for more information:
If you move address or your child changes school, you must re-apply for home to school travel assistance and your application will be assessed under the policy which is in place at that time.
Parents of Post 16 students who receive home to school travel assistance must re-apply each academic year.
The Home to School Travel Team aim to make your child’s journey to and from school as happy and stress free as possible but we acknowledge that sometimes things do not go to plan.
If you have any concerns about their transport or safeguarding, please contact the Home to School Travel Team:
If you believe they are at immediate risk of harm, please contact the Multi Agency Support Hub at Derby City Council: