Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 cases are rising in Derby - read the latest COVID-19 guidance.

Young people's hub

Here is a selection of videos you might find interesting.

Post-16 support

The young people in this short film talk about some of the different types of support that are available to help young people aged 16-25 with special educational needs and disabilities to achieve their aspirations. 


Educational opportunities

Derby College works hard to ensure that people with learning difficulties and disabilities can make the most of the educational opportunities on offer. 

What is an Education, Health and Social Care (EHC) plan?

Top tips for young people to stay safe online

Starting college 

Listen to Zoe talk about her experience of moving from school to college as a partially sighted student. 

 What is an Annual Review of an Education, Health and Social Care (EHC) plan?

Enjoying Derby - Derbyshire Mind

Enjoying Derby is an initiative of Derbyshire Mind which offers guided walks to people with mental health problems, giving them the opportunity to enjoy both the physical and mental health benefits of a good walk.

Living independently

Nadine's story on living independently.

Types of employment

 Young people discuss the various types of employment.

 Personal budgets explained


Blind tennis 

How do you play blind tennis? Tennis player and coach Rosie tells us about how she plays and how her guide dog, Kane, helps her.

Luciano lives independently in his own home with the support of Scope.

You need to think carefully about getting your own home and who you want to live with. Leaving home is a big step and, when you leave, you will have more responsibilities. There are many services that can help with housing needs.

You may be able to receive some money to help you live independently through a Disabled Facilities Grant.

Our housing team also have a useful webpage with a range of housing advice for young people on it.

There are some jobs you will need to do if you choose to live alone. You can read our top tips for Chores that might help.

Find out more by seeing what the below services can offer:

Remember you are entitled to support and can find out more by reading this easy read guide about Support for Young People

Preparing for Adulthood have published a Housing and Support booklet to help people with Learning Disabilities find a housing choice right for them.

This video is about how Jack uses buses, taxis and trains.

We encourage all young people to learn about and use low cost travel, such as walking and cycling, when travelling around the city.

Being able to confidently use public transport will increase your independence and confidence. It will improve your social skills and opens up routes to further education, employment and leisure.

Different ways to help you travel about

  • Independent travel training - a new scheme in Derby, which teaches young people with special educational needs how to get around the city safely. Why not take a look at our Independent travel training leaflet.
  • Bikeability - a scheme free to all schools offering adapted bikes and support.
  • Gold Card - a free off-peak bus pass for eligible Derby residents who are under 60 and have a disability.
  • B-line card - a card which provides discounted travel for young people aged 11 up to their 19th birthday who live in Derby and are in full-time education, at school or college.
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children - if your child has difficulty getting about you may be able to claim the mobility component of the DLA. The rate is dependent on the level of help they need.
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - similar to the DLA for young people over 16 years and includes a mobility component to help with getting around.
  • Motability Scheme - a scheme which can help you lease a car if your child is aged three or over and is gets either the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or enhanced mobility component of Personal Independence Payment. The car is to be used for the benefit of the child.
  • 16-19 Bursary - financial support available for students aged 16 to 19 years in further education. Students who are disabled may be eligible. Apply directly to your learning provider.
  • Blue Badge - the aim of the scheme is to help disabled people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services, by allowing them to park close to their destination. The scheme is open to eligible disabled people irrespective of whether they are travelling as a driver or as a passenger.
  • Wheels 2 Work/Wheels to Learn - a low cost scooter and bicycle hire scheme that can provide access to work, education and training where public transport is not available.
  • Home to school/college transport - students with special educational needs/learning difficulty and/or disability can ask for help with transport from home to school or college up to the end of the term in which they reach the age of 25.
  • Other financial bursaries - students aged 19 or over could still be eligible for a bursary depending on your personal circumstances. Enquire to your learning provider.

Further information:

If you are still not sure how you will travel to college you may want to read Travel Support Information Sheet for college students.

Other travel support for students (not limited to children/young people with additional needs):

  • Arriva Midlands student travel - students studying full-time at universities, colleges or sixth form schools.
  • Mango card - available on Trent Barton buses for travel throughout the Derby City area.
  • Spectrum - an all-day multi-operator bus travel ticket for Derby available on Arriva, Trent Barton, Notts and Derby and Little's services.
  • Public transport information and advice - for support from other transport operators, please contact them directly.

Now for the interesting stuff!

Derby has lots of things to do, great places to visit and plenty of opportunity to make friends. There are:

  • Youth clubs
  • Theatre groups
  • Sport activities
  • Arts and crafts
  • Dance classes
  • Farm visits

You can search our database of activities. Click the orange button to search for activities:

Find things to do near where you live using your postcode using Derbyshire Youth Inc.

Going to a festival?

We found this awesome guide for disabled festival goers.


Here are some of our favourite free gaming sites:

  • Miniclip - This is the best website to play games free. 
  • Amor games - Best action games ever! 
  • CBBC
  • Crazy games - Top tip: We really loves the Macdonalds games!


  • Jamendo music - This is all independent music. So if you’re looking for DJ Khaled or Drake, you’ll probably have to go elsewhere. 
  • Amazon music - Amazon’s selection is actually pretty amazing, and features newer releases from a lot of big-name artists. 
  • Sound Click - SoundClick offers free downloads from thousands of artist websites. That includes signed, unsigned, independent, and everything in-between. 

Youth clubs

Here is a list of youth clubs where you can drop in and have some fun and meet new people: 

Derby County Community Trust has activities and more for 11 to 16 year olds.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award offers a range of activities and endless possibilities to anyone aged 14 to 24. Read about this group of young people going on their first expedition.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) has created 3 short films to help young people aged 11-25 years old with learning disabilities, learn about relationships and staying safe.

We advise that you watch them with your parents, carers or other adult professionals. This enables adults to start conversations with you about feelings, privacy and boundaries, friendships, different kinds of love and online safety.

The three films featuring Ash, her friend Jim and her sister Steph are called:

  • Film 1: You, me and us shows Ash, her friend Jim and her sister Steph talking about how different experiences and relationships make them feel.
  • Film 2: PANTS explains that private parts are private and talks about personal boundaries. Steph teaches Ash and Jim that it’s OK to say “no” if you don’t want to do something, and they discuss different ways of saying “no”.
  • Film 3: Changes and choices builds on the understanding that young people have developed through exploring the previous two films. This film is best suited for young people who are beginning to spend time on their own or working towards living independently.

You can watch the films separately or altogether, although it’s most helpful to work through them in the order.

Each film is designed to open up different ways of talking about different topics. They are to be used as part of your ongoing discussions about growing up, relationships and emotions.

The NSPCC has full details and further resources to support these films.

Helpful links

Brook Young People's Information Service is an information, support and signposting service for young people under 25 on sexual health. They also run a confidential enquiry service via the Brook website.

R U Thinking? - a website especially for under 18s. The website gives information on contraception, sex and relationships. It allows you to search for services anywhere in the UK. The helpline is 0800 28 29 30.

Annual health check

Did you know anyone aged 14 or over who's on their doctor's learning disability register can have a free annual health check once a year?

The learning disability register is different from the register of social care needs managed by local councils. You can ask to go on this register if you think you have a learning disability.

Here is a link to some amazing videos about all sorts of health videos and leaflets

Healthy eating

Remember being healthy is also about keeping fit and eating healthy foods. Eating fatty foods and sugary foods make you put on weight. Fatty foods are not good for your heart. Eating healthy foods helps you feel well. Healthy eating videos and leaflets are available on the Easy Health website.

Did you know Queen's Leisure centre runs a health and wellbeing club?

Mental health

Don't forget about your mental health. It is very important that you don't feel sad, or worried or anxious all the time. Young Minds is a website that offers information to young people about mental health and emotional wellbeing.

Online resources include:


Going to college is a great way to get some training.

Derby Adult Learning Service provides high quality education for adult learners. It aims to meet the needs of local communities and individuals, encouraging lifelong learning through partnership with other education and learning providers. 


vInspired is the UK's leading volunteering charity for 14 - 25 year olds. This organisation helps young people support worthwhile causes that they care about, whilst learning new skills and talents along the way.


An apprenticeship allows you to train at work and earn money whilst working.

There are a number of websites set up to help you find your ideal apprenticeship. You can search by location so consider beginning your search by browsing through the current list of apprenticeships in Derby:

This is how Liam Bairstow, who is an actor on Coronation Street, got his job:

Finding a job or any type of work can be tricky so do not be afraid to ask for help. We found this really useful tool to help you create your CV. This is a guide to help and support you to find and stay in work. Here are some Interview tips

Remploy is the UK’s leading disability specialist, delivering employment and skills support. 

This routes into work guide provides information about options for young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) to help them move into paid employment.

I am a young person and I have autism. I was diagnosed when I was young, and that means I always knew that I am autistic, ever since I was little. As for my autism, it means I don't like loud noises, busy places and crowds. Oh, and did I mention I like the idea of schoolwork? My needs are that I can avoid crowds and that I can have peace and quiet when I am overloaded. So, as long as I don't get overloaded I am usually fine.

Anyway, for the past four weeks, I have been doing work experience the Council House. This was not my idea. I told Adele Styles that I got overloaded by boredom of all things last summer. If you remember, yes Adele is the person who runs Voices In Action (VIA). Then she gave me 16 days of work experience. Over four weeks. Don't worry, I was shocked too.

So, on my first day I helped Adele write up the notes for VIA. Well, at least after finally getting the computer to not crash when I saved. This was very frustrating. I also watched the induction video and somehow managed to not give anyone tea. Making the office tea and biscuits is the first thing you will be expected to do on any work experience placement. Trust me.

As for the work itself... well, it is schoolwork. Yes that is right. There is a job- sorry I mean career path- where you can paid for basically doing schoolwork. This is definitely on my radar for the future. Namely when I am twenty-one and will choose what to do for the next ten years. After all, that is my plan for the future.

I would definitely recommend work experience to anyone who has no practical idea of how the workplace works so you can see what is expected of you in their adult life. This means you can make an informed decision about your future. This means you will have lots of information to make the right choice for you.

Young persons guide to 'Personal Budgets'


You may be entitled to the Disabled Students Allowance if you are staying in some sort of training and have a disability, including:

  • a long-term health condition
  • a mental health condition
  • a specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

If you are aged 16 to 19 years old you might be able to get some extra money called a Bursary Fund to help you while you are at college, sixth form or training. 


There are a number of benefits and tax credits that you may be entitled to. The organisation called Contact has a section for up-to-date information on the benefits you might be entitled to.


If you feel overwhelmed by debt, it is a good idea to get expert advice on sorting it out. Contact has some helpful information and advice on debt problems.