Education Welfare Service (EWS)
The Education Welfare Service (EWS) carry out statutory duties to ensure regular school attendance. We offer advice and support to schools and families who are attending a school within Derby City. Education Welfare Officers are based in Multi-agency Teams throughout the City.
Welfare issues we deal with:
- attendance issues
- welfare issues
- children working in entertainment
- child employment
- Children Missing Education (CME) (in line with CME Guidelines 2016)
- unauthorised absence Penalty Notices
Services that we provide:
- Advice and support to schools on strategies and initiatives to promote good attendance.
- Support and guide schools and parents on attendance issues.
- Contribute to or undertake Early Help Assessments (EHA).
- Advice on school policies and best practice guidance.
- Issue and regulate performance licences.
- Issue work permits.
- Advice and guidance when children become CME.
- Support through advocacy to children and families regarding exclusions.
Are all schools entitled to EWS support?
There are no charges to local authority schools for this service.
Academies, independent schools and free schools all have the opportunity to access support as a sold service. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact the Education Welfare Service
Telephone: 01332 641448
Education Welfare Service
Locality 3/4 Ashtree House
The Council House
Derby DE1 2FS