Apply for a university technical college
If your child lives in Derby City and was born between 1 September 2007 and 31 August 2008, you can apply for a year 9 placement for September 2021 at either:
- The UTC Derby Pride Park Technical College
- Any other university technical college (UTC) or academy in a surrounding local authority area
If you don’t live in Derby City but would like your child to attend a UTC in Derby city, you will need to complete an In-year Common Application Form from the home local authority covering the area in which you live.
Please note, the admission process for children and young people with a Statement of Special Education Needs or Education, Health and Care Plan is different, more information can be found on our Special education needs assessment page.
Before you apply
Before you applying for a place, please consider:
- Is your child passionate about Health and Life Sciences, Information Technology or Engineering and do they want to work or take more in-depth studies in those subject areas?
- Some UTCs and academies are likely to be quite a distance from your home. Consider how your child will travel to the UTC, as you are responsible for getting them there. Information on transport is available on page 25 of the Secondary Admissions Handbook 2021-2022.
- If your child leaves their current UTC, academy or secondary school, that place may be offered to another child and your child may not be able to return if you later change your mind.
- Before you complete your application, it is important that you attend information events at the UTCs to understand their admissions criteria and discuss the implications of a move for your child with the principal and staff at the UTC.
UTC Derby Pride Park Technical College
UTC Derby Pride Park Technical College is one of 50 new UTCs that has been launched across the country. UTC Derby Pride Park provides education and training for 13 to 19-year olds who aspire to be future engineers or work in health and social care.
The UTC is housed in a specially designed building, ensuring that students learn in a twenty-first century environment. Its engineering workshop has the latest CAD equipment, milling machines, lathes and welding bays. In addition to a prototype room with 3D printers and laser cutters, there are five science laboratories for practical teaching. Within the health suite it enables students to take part in simulation and practical activities.
The UTC works closely with Rolls-Royce, Alstom, Toyota, Bombardier, the NHS, Joined Up Care Derbyshire, the University of Derby and Derby College. It is situated on Pride Park with links to cycle paths and bus stops within easy walking distance.
To find out more about UTC Derby Pride Park, visit utcderby.org.uk or telephone 01332 477400 to arrange a visit.
There are other UTCs and academies in the surrounding area:
|UTC/academy name||Local authority||Website||How to apply|
|The JCB Academy||Staffordshire County Council||www.jcbacademy.com||To the JCB Academy|
How to apply
If you live in Derby and want to apply for UTC Derby Pride Park, you can make an application from 13 September 2020. The closing date for UTC applications is 31 October 2020. If the closing date has passed you can still apply however any applications made after the deadline date will be classed as late and will be considered after all on-time applications.
To apply, please either:
National Offer Day - 1 March 2021
The National Offer Day for UTC applications is 1 March 2021. National Offer Day is when parents of children living in Derby will be contacted.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by the UTC.
- If you are happy with the place offered to you, you do not need to do anything else - the school will contact you.
- If you are unhappy with the place offered to you, please contact us and we will advise you what you can do next.