Apply for year 7 at secondary school
We process secondary school applications for all parents living in Derby city. If you live outside Derby city, you should apply through your local council even if you want to apply for a place at a Derby city school.
How to apply
If you want to apply for the intake year of a secondary school starting in September 2021, you can make an application from 14 September 2020. The closing date for online applications is 31 October 2020. If the closing date has passed you can still apply however any applications made after the deadline date will be classed as late and will be considered after all on-time applications.
- You will also need to complete a supplementary application form if you are applying for a place in a Roman Catholic school or academy.
- You will also need to complete a supplementary application form if you are applying for a place in Derby Cathedral School
- The admission process for young people with a Statement of Special Needs or Education, Health and Care Plan is different. More information can be found on our Special education needs assessment page.
The quickest and easiest way to apply is online. You can also apply by telephone on 01332 642350. Alternatively, you can download a paper application form and return it to us or request a paper application form to be sent to you using the same telephone number.
How we process your application
If you have applied to any schools outside of Derby city, we will provide details of your application to the relevant local authority who will then decide whether a place can be offered to your child.
If you apply for a place after 31 October 2020, the admission authority for the school will consider your application after all on-time applications. If there are still places available, the admission authority will look at your application, along with any other applications that were made late.
If you have applied to any academy, foundation or voluntary-aided schools, the governing body of the school will decide whether your child can be offered a place. The application is sent to the school for consideration.
Proof of residence
If you change your address, you may be required to provide proof of residence. If this is necessary, we will let you know once you have submitted your application.
National Offer Day - 1 March 2021
- If you apply online, we send emails on 1 March notifying you of the outcome.
- If you apply by post or over the telephone, we send offers by second class post on 1 March - if you have supplied your email address, you will receive your decision letter via email.
- If you are happy with the offer, you do not need to do anything else - the school will contact you.
- If you are unhappy with the offer, please contact us and we will advise you what you can do next.
- You are strongly advised not to decline the place offered to your child unless they have been offered a place in an alternative school. If you do not accept the place offered, your child may not have a school place for September 2021, leaving you potentially liable for prosecution by the Education Welfare Service (EWS). You can accept or decline the place at a later date if your child is offered a place at an alternative school from the waiting list or as a result of any successful appeal or late application you may make.
If you have not been offered a place at one of your preferred schools, your child will be put on the waiting list. Children will be ranked on all waiting lists according to the order of the over-subscription criteria. This ranking can change as new pupils go on to, or come off, the waiting list. Waiting lists are maintained until the end of the academic year. If you would like your child to remain on the waiting list for another academic year, you must contact us by 31 July 2021.
How to appeal
If you have been refused a place, you can appeal to the Independent Appeal Panel. The panel is independent of the schools and the Council. They are able to take your family's personal circumstances into account and balance these against the school's admission criteria. The panel's decision to allow or refuse an appeal is final.
You have 20 school days from the date of your decision letter or email to lodge an appeal. More information on how to appeal can be found on our School admissions appeals page.