We encourage all young people to learn about and use low cost travel, such as walking and cycling, when travelling around the city.
Being able to confidently use public transport will increase your independence and confidence. It will improve your social skills and opens up routes to further education, employment and leisure.
- Bikeability - a scheme free to all schools offering adapted bikes and support.
- Gold Card - a free off-peak bus pass for eligible Derby residents who are under 60 and have a disability.
- B-line card - a card which provides discounted travel for young people aged 11 up to their 19th birthday who live in Derby and are in full-time education, at school or college.
- The Motability Scheme - a scheme which can help you lease a car if your child is aged three or over and is gets either the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or enhanced mobility component of Personal Independence Payment. The car is to be used for the benefit of the child.
- 16-19 Bursary - financial support available for students aged 16 to 19 years in further education. Students who are disabled may be eligible. Apply directly to your learning provider.
- Blue Badge - the aim of the scheme is to help disabled people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services, by allowing them to park close to their destination. The scheme is open to eligible disabled people irrespective of whether they are travelling as a driver or as a passenger.
- Wheels 2 Work/Wheels to Learn - a low cost scooter and bicycle hire scheme that can provide access to work, education and training where public transport is not available.
- Home to school/college transport - students with special educational needs/learning difficulty and/or disability can ask for help with transport from home to school or college up to the end of the term in which they reach the age of 25.
- Other financial bursaries - students aged 19 or over could still be eligible for a bursary depending on your personal circumstances. Enquire to your learning provider.