ContentsSEND - Travel

This page has information about how to access travel support for young people. You can find out how to apply for travel, the eligibility criteria and other helpful information about travel here. If you think that something is missing from this page, please let us know by using the contact details at the bottom of the page. You can leave us feedback at any time using our feedback forms.

Help with travel options

We encourage all young people to learn about and use low cost travel, such as walking and cycling, when travelling around the city.

Being able to confidently use public transport will increase your independence and confidence. It will improve your social skills and opens up routes to further education, employment and leisure.

  • Bikeability - a scheme free to all schools offering adapted bikes and support.
  • Gold Card - a free off-peak bus pass for eligible Derby residents who are under 60 and have a disability.
  • B-line card - a card which provides discounted travel for young people aged 11 up to their 19th birthday who live in Derby and are in full-time education, at school or college.
  • The Motability Scheme - a scheme which can help you lease a car if your child is aged three or over and is gets either the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or enhanced mobility component of Personal Independence Payment. The car is to be used for the benefit of the child.
  • 16-19 Bursary - financial support available for students aged 16 to 19 years in further education. Students who are disabled may be eligible. Apply directly to your learning provider. 
  • Blue Badge - the aim of the scheme is to help disabled people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services, by allowing them to park close to their destination. The scheme is open to eligible disabled people irrespective of whether they are travelling as a driver or as a passenger.
  • Wheels 2 Work/Wheels to Learn - a low cost scooter and bicycle hire scheme that can provide access to work, education and training where public transport is not available.
  • Home to school/college transport - students with special educational needs/learning difficulty and/or disability can ask for help with transport from home to school or college up to the end of the term in which they reach the age of 25.
  • Other financial bursaries - students aged 19 or over could still be eligible for a bursary depending on your personal circumstances. Enquire to your learning provider.

Here are Derby City Council's travel policies:

Statutory Travel Guidance

Further guidance on school transport can be found in Section 9 of the SEND Code of Practice 2015. You may also want to read:

Further support

If you are still not sure how you will travel to college you may want to read Travel Support Information Sheet for college students.

Other travel support for students (not limited to children/young people with additional needs):

  • Mango card - available on Trent Barton buses for travel throughout the Derby City area.
  • Spectrum - an all-day multi-operator bus travel ticket for Derby available on Arriva, Trent Barton, Notts and Derby and Little's services.

We want to hear from you

Don't forget we are always wanting your feedback:

Click here to Return to the Local Offer Homepage

Useful forms

Contact details

Post address:
The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby, DE1 2FS
Phone: 01332 642708