Special educational needs - transport


Special educational needs transport

Help with transport to school may be available for children with Statements of Special Educational Needs who:

  • are under eight years old and live more than two miles from school
  • are eight to 16 years old who live more than three miles from school
  • are at secondary school and from a family that gets the maximum level of working tax credit or free school meals and live two to six miles from school.

What types of help are available?

We offer a range of help and support for transport:

  • travel pass covering journeys from home to school and return
  • travel expenses to school and return home for each half term (12 return trips) for pupils at schools that are outside our city boundaries and are on 38 or 52 week placements, plus one return trip for parents to attend the annual review
  • fuel allowance for parents, paid in arrears at the end of each term once the school has confirmed their attendance
  • independent travel training to enable young people to travel independently. Learn more on our independent travel training page
  • other help may be available.

We also support a number of sustainable methods of transport, such as cycling. For more information on this visit the School- travel support section of our website.

How do I apply?

If you live in Derby, call the Special Educational Needs Transport team on 01332 640749 who will give you details of how to apply.

Special educational needs transport for college students over 16

Students over 16 can get transport assistance from home to college, up to the end of the term they reach the age of 25 if they meet all the following requirements:

  • they are at college full time (more than 16 hours of teaching a week) and
  • they cannot use public or college transport as certified by a doctor or medical professional and
  • the college is the ‘designated’ college for their home address or it is nearer than the designated college.

Derby College is the designated college for students living in Derby. We will consider giving transport to elsewhere if:

  • Derby College doesn’t offer a particular work related subject
  • there is no course that would allow the student to progress
  • the college doesn’t have the right specialist facilities or staff.

You will need to give us a letter from Derby College, or any nearer college, if appropriate, that tells us they cannot offer the facilities that the student needs.

How to apply

Pick up an application form from us at the Council House or call us on the number below and we'll send you a form to fill in and return.

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Special Educational Needs
Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 642708
Minicom: 01332 640666

Special Educational Needs Transport
Council House
Corporation Street