Pet care - help and advice

Can I get help with my pets' bills?Schnauzer dog

You may be entitled to help with your veterinary care from the PDSA. This help is for owners who can not afford private vets fees and can be for cats and dogs and all popular domestic pets such as rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, rats and mice.

To qualify for this help you need to live within the Derby area and be receiving either Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

You will need to provide the PDSA with proof that you are getting this by showing them your current Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support entitlement letter. This letter must not be more than six months old.

When you visit the PDSA, they will also ask you for proof of your identity that has your name and address and your signature on it.

The local PDSA Pet Aid Hospital is at:

200, City Gate
London Road

Telephone: 01332 345771.

If you do not have a current Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support entitlement letter that is less than six months old, you can get one by contacting us by:

  • telephone: 01332 640444 - between 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday or between 10.00am and 5.00pm on Thursday. If your pet needs urgent treatment we can call or fax the PDSA straight away.
  • visiting us at The Council House, Corporation Street. Our opening hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm or Thursday between 10.00am and 4.30pm. You do not have to make an appointment to see a Benefits Customer Service Adviser, you can visit our main reception for this letter.

Kittens If I don't qualify for the PDSA's help, is there any other help available?

There are other animal charities which may be able to help you...

The PDSA also recommends that you consider taking out a Pet Insurance policy to give you peace of mind, and to make sure that your pet has the protection they need.

On this page: