New garden waste collection service FAQs

  • How do I apply for the 2017 service?

    • Use our online form
    • Sign up and pay over the phone, call 0333 200 6981 between 9.00am and 3.00pm. You will need your credit or debit card to make your payment. 
    • Pay by cash or cheque at the Council House.
  • How much will the garden waste collections cost?

    The annual change for the service is £40 for your first brown bin and £20 for the second or any additional brown bins. There is no limit on the number of brown bins we will collect from a property.

    We are offering a smaller brown bin.

    • Do you have a small garden?
    • Do you find the standard size bin hard to store or move about?
    • Do you only produce a small amount of compostable garden waste?

    We are offering a limited number of small brown bins. These are 140 litres rather than the standard 240 litre wheeled bin.

    The annual cost will be £25 and is limited to one bin per property.

  • When will the garden waste service start?

    The 2016 service will run from April until November 2017 and collections will take place every other week.

    Collections will start from 10 April and the scheme will close on Friday 17 November 2017. You will be able to check your brown bin collection day on the bin day look up tool

    You will receive details of your collection dates in your welcome pack, delivered late March/early April. If you sign up once the service has started we will endeavour to get your welcome pack to you as soon as possible, usually within 15 working days.

  • How often will you collect my garden waste?

    We will collect your brown bin every other week between April and November, your welcome pack will detail all your collection dates.

    You will receive 16 collections over a 32 week period.

  • Which day will my brown bin be emptied?

    Once you have signed up to the service, we will let you know what day your brown bin will be emptied. We will also issue your ‘licence’ sticker to put on your bin.

    For the majority of customers your brown bin will be collected alongside either your blue or black bin. However, please note that your garden recycling day may differ so we can run the service as efficiently as possible. 

    You will be able to check your garden recycling collection day on the bin day look up tool.

  • What can be placed in the brown garden waste bin?

    Yes please No thanks
    Grass cuttings Soil, stones or gravel
    Hedge trimmings Flower pots
    Garden prunings Seed trays
    Leaves Kitchen/food waste
    Small twigs Pet litter or waste
    Dead plants Cardboard, paper, glass or metal
    Branches no thicker than 12cm Wood/timber or sawdust
      Plastic bags

    For an alternative to having your green waste collected, you might want to home compost. Visit our composting page for more information.


  • How will you know I have signed up for the service?

    Once you have signed up and paid for the service you will receive an email or letter confirming your membership to the service.

    You will receive your welcome pack containing your membership sticker(s) and your collection dates late March/early April or within 15 working days if you sign up to the service once it has started.

  • Do I have to have a membership sticker on my bin?

    Yes, we will only empty brown bins showing a membership sticker.

    If you have signed up and are waiting for your brown bin sticker to arrive please place your bin out as our collection crews may be aware you are a scheme member. However, without a membership sticker showing we cannot guarantee your brown bin will be emptied.

  • Can I cancel the service once I have signed up for it?

    Yes, however we will not offer refunds. You can cancel the service by phone or online using the online General Waste Service form

  • Why is the service not running all year round?

    Garden waste tonnages drop over the winter months. It would not be efficient to run the service over the winter months.


  • Why are you charging for this service?

    To enable us to continue to provide our excellent garden waste service, we’ve taken the tough decision to charge for emptying brown bins. This service change is expected to save the Council £1.2 million a year.

    The change also means that only households who need the service pay for the service.

  • Is it legal to charge for the garden waste collections?

    Yes, under the Controlled Waste Regulations 2012 we are able to charge for the collection of domestic garden waste service.

  • I am on benefits – do I still have to pay? Are there any concessions?

    There are no concessionary rates.

  • Can my garden waste be collected from my door?

    If you are eligible for assisted collections you will also receive assisted collections for garden waste.

  • I don’t want to use the service, how can I dispose of my garden waste?

    You can dispose of your garden waste in a number of ways:

  • What do I do if I move home within Derby?

    If you move to another address in Derby, take your brown bin(s) with you. If you still want your garden waste service, contact us to transfer the service to your new address. Use the online General Waste Service form or call 0333 2006981.

  • What if I live in a flat and have a shared garden?

    We are happy to continue providing a garden waste collection service for flats - at a charge of £40 per year for the first brown bin, and £20 per year for any additional brown bins.

  • What if I'm renting and/or am not responsible for the garden where I live?

    Please tell the person responsible for your garden about the charge. They can then make the choice about whether to pay to continue having the garden waste from your property collected.

  • What’s to stop other people in the neighbourhood swapping my bin with theirs?

    You will receive a sticker identifying that your bin is paid for and you can write your address onto this sticker - there is nothing we can do to stop residents moving bins but we will have details of the addresses of those who have paid for the service to cross reference where we collect a bin from.

  • Will I have to use my brown bin for the garden waste collections?

    Yes, to participate in the service residents will need to use their brown wheeled bins.

  • Is the service just for garden waste? What about compostable food waste?

    We will no longer be able to accept food waste in the brown bins once the new service starts. This will allow us to send the material for reprocessing in more efficient ways.

    We hope to encourage residents to reduce the amount of food waste being produced. Visit for some great tips.

    Food waste can be home composted or placed in the black bin.

  • A tree by my garden drops leaves over winter, will you help dispose of them?

    No. The service will run from April until November as over winter we collect such a small amount of garden waste it is not environmentally or financially viable to run the service.

    Please visit the Tree Management section of the website to find out more about leaf litter and tree management. 

    Leaf litter can be home composted, taken to Raynesway Household Waste and Recycling Site or if needed can be removed via our chargeable bulky waste collection service or placed in your black bin.

  • Can I join part way through the year?

    To ensure you get the most out of the service we would recommend that you join the 2016 service by 9 March 2017 to benefit from the full year's service.

  • How do I report a missed bin?

    If you are signed up to the 2014 service you can report a missed bin go to the report it tab and select the missed bin form.

  • I have signed up to the 2017 service but I haven’t received my welcome pack yet- what should I do?

    If you sign up to the 2017 service before 9 March 2017 we you will receive your welcome pack (containing your collections dates) late March/early April. 

    If you sign up after this date, we will endeavour to get your welcome pack to you as soon as possible, usually within 15 working days.

    Please let us know if you haven’t received the pack, using our enquiry form.

  • My brown bin is missing or damaged, how do I get a replacement?

    If you are signed up to the 2016 Garden Waste Service and your brown bin has gone missing or been damaged please report it to us, use the Replacement Brown Bin form. We can remove your damaged brown bin and deliver a new one.

Garden waste collection service

From April 2014, residents wishing to have their garden waste collected must pay to receive this service.

This is an opt in service. You will have to apply to get the garden waste collections.