We support economic development in the city based on the three drivers of Derby’s Economic Strategy:
- Supporting business and job creation
- Promoting skills development
- Improving the city's infrastructure
How do you support economic development?
Some of the things we do include:
- Business advice and support - making sure local businesses are helped to flourish, and that they can access national and regional provision.
- Helping local communities to access appropriate training and employment - working with our partners to ensure that opportunities are offered to the communities most in need of support.
- Partnership activities - working with all partners on the Derby Renaissance Board to deliver the Economic Strategy; complementing the physical regeneration efforts of the Regeneration Projects and Estates Divisions within the Council; contributing to the aims of D2N2 - the Local Enterprise Partnership for the area; and supporting independent networks and business forums like the Derby and Derbyshire Rail Forum.
- Attracting government and European funding - preparing and managing successful bids for external funding that assist economic development activities.
- Tourism - delivering Visitor Services and promoting the city for business and leisure trips.
- Inward investment and promotional activities - working closely alongside Marketing Derby to ensure the city provides investment opportunities that help the local economy to thrive.
What are the key projects?
- Implementing The Derby Plan: Vision for Derby 2030 and Derby's Economic Strategy 2011 - 2016.
- Managing Derby's Regional Growth Fund allocation to support Derby’s key sectors and generate employment growth in the city.
- Influence the school curriculum to promote enterprise in our young people.
- Identify and promote trade and tourism opportunities with Osnabruck, Shaanxi Province and Toyota City.
- Delivering the Darley Abbey Mills Regeneration Strategy.