Castleward Urban Village
Housing-led regeneration at Castleward Urban Village (CUV) is a priority project in Derby’s City Centre Masterplan 2030 and critical to achieving the housing targets in the Derby City Local Plan. At least 512 new dwellings are proposed within the Order Land.
Compulsory purchase order (CPO) powers
The Local Plan specifically envisages the use of compulsory purchase powers to deliver the wider CUV, if necessary.
Early phases of development at CUV were completed without the requirement for us to exercise our compulsory purchase order (CPO) powers.
The Castleward CPO was made in March 2020. Subject to Secretary of State approval, we will use the CPO to acquire land to deliver new housing. However, our preferred option is the acquisition of property interests by mutual agreement with the use of the CPO as a last resort.
We have, and will continue to, put considerable effort into engaging with all known owners of land or interests that will be directly affected by the CPO.
Compulsory purchase system guidance can be found on GOV.UK.
Our justification for the use of CPO powers is set out in:
More information about the CPO is available in the:
CPO public inquiry
A virtual public inquiry is scheduled for 26 January 2021. The public notice is available to download, and includes information on how to attend the inquiry.
It is an open hearing that:
- offers objectors (who have already registered an objection) a chance to explain why they are opposed to the CPO
- gives Derby City Council a chance to put forward its case and justify why it needs the land
- allows both sides to produce evidence, call witnesses to back up their case and question any witnesses provided by the other side
CPO core documents
The following evidence supports the Derby City Council (Castleward) Compulsory Purchase Order 2020:
- Core bundle index (file size: 654KB)
- Core documents (Bundle 1)
- Core documents part 1 - order documents (file size: 10MB)
- Core documents part 2 - planning permission (file size: 503KB)
- Core documents part 3 - policy guidance (file size: 14.1MB)
- Core documents part 4 - other supporting documents (file size: 2MB)
- Core documents part 5 - legislation (file size: 594KB)
- Local authority evidence (Bundle 2)
- Outstanding objections (Bundle 3) to the CPO are also available to download.
- Rebuttal evidence (Bundle 4)