When a person dies at home or in a residential/nursing home in Derby City area and there is no one or no money to pay for the funeral we may be able to arrange their funeral.
What do I need to do?
If a person dies at home or in a residential / nursing home you need to contact us immediately.
We need to know:
- The name and address of the deceased
- The date of death and birth, if possible
- Where the deceased is
- Who has the certificate of death
- Any paperwork that you have
- Who needs to be notified of the funeral arrangements
If the deceased has died in hospital, the hospital will make the arrangements and pay for the funeral.
What will the council do?
- Register the death
- Arrange to search the home of the deceased for a will, bank information and other documents or property to pay for the funeral and contact relatives
- We may contact a private company to search for relatives
- Arrange for a cremation or burial
- Notify the Treasury Solicitor if there is money in the estate once the funeral has been paid for.
Is there anything else I need to know about funeral expenses?
You may be able to get a funeral expenses payment if you arrange the funeral yourself and are in receipt of the relevant benefits.
The funeral is very dignified but we do not pay for flowers, a service or the chapel.
Contact the Environmental Protection Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01332 642020 for further information.