Health and safety: How do I make a complaint?

The Food and Safety Team can investigate all health and safety complaints and concerns within businesses that fall under our enforcement.

We do not accept anonymous complaints.  You will have to provide your name and contact details.  All of your details will be kept confidential and will not be released.

If you are concerned about health and safety within a business you can make a complaint by completing the online Complaint record form or by contacting us.

If you are an employee and have a health and safety concern the first step would be to discuss this with your manager or trade union representative.  If this is not possible, or they fail to act on your concern, you can complain by completing the Complaint record form or alternatively by contacting us.

For more serious complaints we may take court action in which case you may be required to give evidence in court.

We are unable to give advice in relation to your employment rights. 

For further advice in relation to employment law you can contact the Citizens Advice for information on 03454 04 05 06 or visit the Citizens Advice website.

Alternatively you can contact ACAS on 0300 123 1100 or visit ACAS website

Before making a complaint please see the frequently asked questions to see if this resolves the issue.

What happens once I have complained?

The level of investigation will depend upon the nature of the complaint, the risk posed to health or injury, the professional judgement of the investigating officer and previous knowledge of the history of the business. The investigation may take up to six weeks or maybe longer.

At the end of the investigation the officer will contact you to inform you of the findings and to let you know if further action is being taken.

The Food and Safety Team is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services. Please view our Food and Safety Team Privacy Notices for further information, printed copies are available on request.

Contact details

Post address:
Derby City Council, The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby DE1 2FS
Phone: 01332 640779
Minicom: 01332 640666

On this page: