I have had an accident in a business, what happens next?

If the business has more than 10 employees it should record the accident in an accident book.

The business has a duty to report the accident to the enforcing authority if the accident:

  • results in a member of the public having to go to hospital from the business and receiving treatment or,
  • an employee is admitted to hospital for more than 24 hours, or
  • you have a major injury, or
  • an employee being absent from work for 7 days or more

The enforcing authority will investigate if they think it necessary.

The level of investigation will depend upon the type of accident, the history of the business and the professional judgement of the investigating officer. Not all accidents will result in a formal investigation.

If you have concerns in relation to health and safety as a result of an accident please see How can I complain?

We are unable to obtain compensation for you or to give you advice in relation to your employment.

For further advice in relation to employment law or obtaining compensation you can contact the Citizens Advice for information on 03454 04 05 06 or visit the Citizens Advice website.

Alternatively you can contact ACAS on 0300 123 1100 or visit ACAS website

The Food and Safety Team is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services. Please view our Food and Safety Team Privacy Notices for further information, printed copies are available on request.

Contact details

Post address:
Derby City Council, The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby DE1 2FS
Phone: 01332 640779
Minicom: 01332 640666

On this page: