Who enforces health and safety at a business?

Health and safety enforcement is split between the local authority (us) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) dependent upon the type of business activity which is being carried out.

For an A to Z list of business activity and their enforcement, please visit the Health and Safety Executive's website.

Generally we are responsible for health and safety in most service and retail premises within Derby city, such as:

  • Offices
  • Shops
  • Warehouses
  • Beauty industry
  • Sports and leisure services
  • Tyre and exhaust fitters
  • Hotels and guest houses
  • Consumer services such as laundrettes, churches and banks
  • Food premises
  • Cinemas
  • Residential care homes

The Care Quality Commission investigates and enforces standards expected in nursing homes and in hospitals.

The HSE are responsible for:

  • Factories chemical plants and power stations
  • Building sites
  • Garages, car repair and workshops
  • Printers
  • Hospitals, doctors’ surgeries, dentists and nursing homes
  • Schools and universities
  • Mines and quarries
  • Railways and transport on public roads
  • Fairgrounds
  • Farms
  • Council owned premises

These lists are not exhaustive. Further information on HSE enforced businesses can be found at the HSE website.

The Food and Safety Team is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services. Please view our Food and Safety Team Privacy Notices for further information, printed copies are available on request.

Contact details

Post address:
Derby City Council, The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby DE1 2FS
Phone: 01332 640779
Minicom: 01332 640666

On this page: