Businesses who actively make their premises welcome for mothers and families to breastfeed can positively contribute to a woman feeling more confident to breastfeed in public.
This is not only good for mum and baby, but it’s great for business too:
- Attracting families by making them feel welcome may be more likely to stay longer and spend more.
- Breastfeeding mums are more likely to return to venues they feel comfortable in.
- Improved customer service.
- Receiving good publicity.
- Attracting new customers.
Breastfeeding has lifelong health benefits for both mother and baby. If your business signs up to the award, you will be contributing to bettering the health of people in Derby.
Applying for the Breastfeeding Welcome Here Award
The scheme is free to join.
The application process may involve a brief inspection of your premises. You can achieve the award if you:
- Provide a comfortable place for women to breastfeed – it doesn’t need to be a separate room but it should never be a toilet.
- Treat breastfeeding mums the same way you would any other customer.
- Train your staff to be supportive of breastfeeding and know how to react to both positive and negative comments from other customers.
- Develop a breastfeeding policy for your business. If you need help with this email email@example.com
- Display your certificate and window sticker to show that you welcome breastfeeding.