We commission public health services for children and young people across the city. This includes the midwifery and health visiting service, which has trained staff to support breastfeeding mums and achieved the prestigious Baby Friendly Initiative.
We know that there are as many as:
- 8 out of 10 women who stop breastfeeding before they want to.
- 7 out of 10 women gave their baby breast milk when they were born.
- only 4 out of 10 babies were still receiving breast milk, at 6 weeks old.
In the community, we are continually growing our network of breastfeeding support services including:
- the experienced Infant Feeding Team
- established breastfeeding champions in our city’s children’s centres
- breastfeeding clubs and clinics
- antenatal ‘feeding your baby’ sessions.
To contact the Health Visiting Teams or Infant Feeding Team telephone 0300 1234586 (select option 3).
Parents can also text the Chat Health number 07507 327754.