There are three steps to becoming an adopter with Derby City Council and our experts will guide and support you through the adoption process to make it as easy as possible.
Make an enquiry
- Fill in our enquiry form or call us on 01332 640880 to speak to a member of the team
- We will take some basic details and answer any initial questions you may have about adoption
- We will send you an information pack and invite you to one of our information evenings
- An informal home visit will also be arranged to give us a chance to learn more about you and help you decide if adoption is the way forward.
- If you meet the requirements you will be invited to apply by completing a Registration of Interest form to transfer you to the next stage.
- Stage one usually takes around 2 months to complete.
- Essential paperwork and checks include the request for references from the Disclosure and Barring Service and Children's Services.
- We will also request a health and safety assessment in your home and a medical check-up with your GP.
- You will also be invited to our preparation groups to gain a realistic insight on what it takes to become an adoptive parent.
- Stage two usually takes around four months. You can take up to a six month break before moving forward.
- A home assessment will be carried out with your social worker to get to know about all aspects of your life.
- At the end of stage two your social worker will prepare a report for the Adoption Panel.
- You will then find out if your application has been recommended by the Agency Decision Maker.