To become a foster carer there are a number of steps you need to go through and you will have your own social worker to support and guide you through the process. It usually takes around 6 months from making a formal application to being approved as a foster carer.
Fill in our enquiry form or call us on 01332 640880 to speak to a member of the team
- We will take some basic details and answer any initial questions you may have about fostering.
We will arrange to visit you at home to find out more about you
- During the visit we will talk to you in more detail about the fostering journey and what support we will provide.
Complete an application form
- You will be invited to make a formal application. Once we receive this we will carry out a number of background checks, including the Disclosure & Barring Service (formerly CRB), NSPCC, your doctor and your personal referees.
Assessment and training
- Whilst all the background checks are made, an allocated social worker will make a series of visits to you at home to get to know you and your family. You will also attend our 'Skills to Foster' training course.
- Once all the checks are complete and the social worker has got enough information about you a report will be presented to our fostering panel. The Panel will make a recommendation regarding your approval which will then go to the agency decision maker for their authorisation.