Short term care in your home

The Home First Team

The Home First team is there to support you in your own home for a short period of time, the home first support workers will enable you to carry out the things you can do and assist you with the care you need at that time. This may be personal care, including help with dressing, washing, assisting & moving and assistance with meal preparation. We will support you to regain confidence, independence and wellbeing.

If you do not receive a package of care and you have been admitted into hospital or you are still at home and your health has deteriorated, we will provide you with a package of care to prevent you being admitted into hospital or onto another ward or into residential care.

Home First staff will review your care needs on a regular basis, they will stop the support when you have recovered, however, if you require on going care then we will arrange this and refer you onto the social care teams.

Who can be supported by Home First?

We can support you if you:

  • live in Derby
  • are over 18 years of age
  • do not currently receive any Home Care service

How do I get support from Home First?

If you are in hospital then the ward staff will contact us for you. If you are at home, your Doctor or Intermediate Care Service can refer you.

Will I have to pay?

As Home First is a short term service you will not be charged.

If you require any on going support at home there may be a charge.

What happens if I need on going support?

If it becomes clear that you require on going support to remain independent at home and you meet the eligibility criteria, we will refer you to the social care team who will carry out a full assessment.

Care Quality Commission Rating

The CQC - Care Quality Commission - is an independent regulator of health and social care in England. It regulates care provided by the NHS, local authorities, private companies and voluntary organisations. Their aim is to make sure better care is provided for everyone, in hospitals, in care homes, in people's own homes, or elsewhere.

Contact details

Post address:
Adult social care
People Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640777
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street