Becoming a Personal Assistant

Calling all Personal Assistants

Are you on the Register?

Social care for adults is changing. Under the new national system of social care, people can get their social care and support in a range of ways.  They have the freedom to control the type of assistance they receive, and who they receive it from.

This means more flexibility for those that need help.  They could use different businesses and services in their local area to help them live as independently as possible for longer in their own homes.

To make the most of this opportunity, people who are buying their own care, whether funded by social care or privately, may choose to employ a Personal Assistant who can provide the exact care and support that they need when they need it so that they can continue to live independently in their own homes.  

We have created an Online Register in association with Blue Sky Brokers (Disability Direct) for all Personal Assistants who support disabled/older people.

What is the Register?

The aim of the Register is to make it easier for Customers to find Personal Assistants and for Personal Assistants to have a place to advertise their skills and availability, therefore creating a more productive service.

What is in it for me?

  • Greater chance of finding employment
  • Free advertising
  • Free to access

What training is included for Personal Assistants?

Access to training giving you the key skills and knowledge needed to offer a high standard of care and/or support to a vulnerable adult.  This training is essential to help you understand how to provide safe and lawful care in an effective way. There will be a charge for any courses you attend.

Areas may include:

  • Introduction to Social Care     
  • Basic Moving & Handling          
  • Working Safely
  • Food Hygiene Awareness     
  • Emergency First Aid          
  • Putting dignity at the heart of Social Care

Do I need to sign up to a Code of Conduct?

In joining this register you can voluntarily agree to the terms and conditions of a Code of Conduct, which specifies a set of standards that is designed to ensure Personal Assistants are equipped to deliver good quality services to customers.

Before you complete the application form we would recommend you read the Code of Conduct for Personal Assistants.

Do I need to have a Disclosure and Barring Service check?

You will need to have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (previously known as a Criminal Records Bureau check) if you want to offer any Regulated Activities.

Regulated Activities include:

  • Personal care
  • Medication
  • Childcare/supervision
  • Shopping
  • Escorting to appointments
  • Preparing meals - but only if this includes feeding the person
  • Transport - but only if this is to hospital or medical appointments.

You can find out more about the Disclosure and Barring Service check in the Frequently Asked Questions.

How do I get on the register?

If you’re interested in becoming a Personal Assistant and supporting people in Derby then please complete the online application form.

How can I find out more?

To find out more about being a Personal Assistant you can read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.

If you would like to know more about the Register itself, please contact us.

Contact details

Post address:
Adults, Health and Housing
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640777
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Service Centre
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street

On this page:

Related Actions

In this section: