Financial assessment for adult social care


What is a financial assessment?

If you qualify for support for your care needs to be met we will conduct a financial assessment to decide whether or not you have enough money to pay towards your support. How much you may need to contribute depends on how much money you have coming in each week compared to what your outgoings are. The amount of savings you have will also be looked at.

The Government gives councils guidance about how to calculate how much money you should contribute to paying for services and support.

If you have more than £23,250 in savings and capital, you will have to pay the full cost of any support you require. You can still ask for an assessment of your care needs but you will not qualify for any funded support from us.

If your savings and capital drop below £23,250, contact us again and we will review your assessment.

How do I get a financial assessment?

You can contact us to arrange for a Visiting Officer to come and see you to complete an assessment.

What will happen at a financial assessment?

A Visiting Officer, who is someone who works for the council, will contact you or your representative to arrange a visit to your home. The Visiting Officer will ask to look at what benefits and income you are getting now. The Visiting Officer will also check that you are receiving the right welfare benefits.

The Visiting Officer will need to see documents such as bank statements, building society books, bills and any recent letters from the Department of Work and Pensions. The Visiting Officer will let you know what documents are required before the visit and they will need to see this information at the visit.

There is no charge for the financial assessment. You may ask a family member, friend or representative to be with you during the visit. At the end of the assessment you will be asked to sign a declaration confirming the accuracy of the information collected by the Visiting Officer.

How are contributions worked out?

The Government has said that everyone will have a certain amount of their income protected under the financial assessment. Your protected income is the amount of basic Income Support or Pension Credit plus an additional 25%. This is called the ‘set amount’. The Visiting Officer can tell you what your ‘set amount’ is as this is dependent on your age and your circumstances.

When the Visiting Officer comes to see you they will ask to look at your outgoings including your rent or mortgage payments, council tax and any savings you may have. The financial assessment also takes into account any disability related expenses that you pay for such as a wheelchair or special diet. The outcome is to determine how much ‘assessable income’ you have. If your ‘assessable income’ is below the ‘set amount’, you will not be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of meeting your social care needs.

Capital can include savings, savings bonds and shares. We do not take into account the value of your property you live in unless you have moved into an Extra Care Scheme or Supported Living Accommodation.

If you live with someone as a couple, we do not take account of your spouse or partner’s income or savings. We will only look at your income and outgoings. We will look at savings which are held jointly and disregard 50%.

How much will I have to contribute towards my care?

Following the financial assessment, the Community Care Charging and Support Team will write to notify you of your weekly contribution. They will also tell you if you are not required to make a contribution. You will also be provided with a breakdown showing how your contribution has been worked out. You will be required to sign a document agreeing to pay the contribution.

If you need to make a contribution, it will start from the date you began to get care services. You are encouraged to complete a financial assessment as quickly as possible to avoid a debt accruing. 

The Community Care Charging and Support Team will write to you to confirm the dates.

How much you may need to contribute depends on the outcome of your assessment and also how you choose to meet your care needs. There is no maximum amount you will be asked to put towards your care each week, unless your savings or capital is more than the upper capital amount. 

If you choose to attend a council run day centre and have a meal there you will be asked to pay for the meal regardless of the outcome of the financial assessment.

What if I don’t want to tell you about my finances?

The information you give to us will help us decide whether to charge you for social care and support services and if so, how much to charge you. Unfortunately, we can’t make a decision without this information. If you don’t want to provide details of your finances we will assume that you are funding all of your support yourself. If you decide to give us the information later on, we will arrange for one of our Visiting Officers to come and see you. The financial assessment cannot be backdated and it will take effect from the date of the visit.

How do I make a payment towards my care?

You can pay for your home care or day care service in the following ways:

Direct Debit

Regular payments collected every 4 weeks may be made by Direct Debit. The Community Care Charging and Support Team will send you the Direct Debit mandate form the first time they write to notify you of your contribution.

You can download the Direct Debit mandate form or contact us on 01332 640777 to request one. Please ensure you write your customer reference number on the Direct Debit mandate form. This is a seven digit number which can be found on letters we have sent to you relating to your support. Following receipt of your mandate, we will then write to you with a payment schedule confirming the amounts we will collect.

Payment Card

Payment cards can be used to pay with cash at many convenient locations including Pay Point, pay zone and e-pay outlets.

Contact the Community Care Charging and Support team to request a card. This usually takes about two weeks to be delivered to your address. The Payment Card will arrive with a list of the outlets available in your area. You will also be sent a plastic wallet to keep the card in.

Take your statement and Payment Card to any participating outlet and present them both with the payment. Tell the cashier how much you want to pay as the amount may be different to the amount on the statement. The cashier will give you the Payment Card back with a receipt as proof of payment. Please keep your receipt in your plastic wallet should you need to query this.

Do not worry if you lose your card as it does not contain information about your account and you can contact the Community Care Charging and Support team to ask for a free replacement.

Debit/Credit Card

Contact the Community Care Charging and Support team if you would like to use your debit card or credit card. 

Council House Payment Kiosks

You can use one of the touchscreen payment systems within the Council House reception. To do this you need to:

  1. select 'Pay For A Service > Homecare Charges
  2. enter your seven digit customer reference number - found on your statement of charges
  3. enter your name and address
  4. select how you want to pay - Cash or Credit/Debit Card.

Please ensure you keep your printed receipt. If you have any queries or problems using the payment kiosks, please speak to a member of staff at reception.

What if there is a change in my circumstances?

At any time you can ask for a Visiting Officer to review your financial circumstances if you think this will change your contribution. This can include a change in your income, having additional living expenses or if your savings and capital drop below £23,250. You must contact the Community Care Charging and Support team straight away if you think there are changes that may change your contributions. We will then write back to you to tell you of the revised contribution.

What if I disagree with the amount I’m being asked to pay?

If you think your contribution has been worked out incorrectly, you must contact the Community Care Charging and Support team straight away. We will then check the information collected by the Visiting Officer who came to see you.

If you do not agree with your assessment, you can ask for it to be reviewed by a senior member of the Community Care Charging and Support team. You have 28 days from the date of the notification letter to write to tell us making it clear why you do not agree with our assessment. We will look at your contribution again and give you a decision within 28 days of your request.

What if I can’t pay my contribution?

If you are experiencing difficulty in paying, please contact the Community Care Charging and Support team straight away. If you do not pay and do not get in touch with us, we will have to refer it to our Legal team who will consider bringing legal proceedings to recover what you owe.

Residential Care financial assessment

People entering residential accommodation are required by law to contribute towards the cost of that accommodation depending on the length of stay and their ability to pay. However, the system is designed to enable people of limited resources, including those receiving Guarantee Credit or Income Support, to be able to receive the level of care they need.

For information on financial assessments relating to residential care, please visit our residential care webpage.

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
People Services
Community Care Charging and Support Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640777
Minicom: 01332 640666
Adults, Health & Housing
Community Care Charging and Support Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street