Assessment for adult social care

We encourage everyone to lead independent lives with the support of family, friends, neighbours and your local community. However, this isn't always possible and we can give you information on what support is available.


How can I get support to manage on my own?

If you live in Derby, we can give you information, advice and guidance which will help to keep you independent. This can help you to decide what to do and how to plan your future.

We can help and advise you, but it's also really important that you work out where you can get help from others. This may be through family, friends, neighbours or community groups and organisations.

A good place to start is the Living independently at home section of our website which provides information and advice on ways to support your independence.

For example, you may be able to buy equipment to help you in and around your home or you could contact a Local Area Coordinator to see if there is any support available in your local community.

If you haven't been able to find the right information and advice you may want to have a face-to-face chat with a social care worker who can support you to find local solutions. Our social care workers are available in a variety of community venues throughout the week, please visit our Talking Points page for more information.

How can I get an assessment of my care needs?

If you are unable to find your own support or you are struggling to remain independent, we may be able to provide support for you.

Contact us if you would like an assessment to find out if you qualify for City Council funded support.

An assessment means:

  • looking at what you can manage yourself and what additional support you may need
  • deciding whether you qualify for funded support from the Council.

We use the information from your assessment to decide if you qualify for support under the Care Act 2014.

It's really important to ask a family member, carer or someone who knows you well to be with you during the assessment if you find it difficult to express your views and wishes, if you don't have anyone to support you, you can arrange for an independent advocate to support you.

There is a national level of care and support needs that all councils will consider when they assess what help they can give you. To qualify for support:

  • your needs must arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness
  • as a result of your needs you are unable to achieve two or more outcomes in the areas listed below
  • as a result there is, or is likely to be a significant impact on your wellbeing.

The areas we look at include:

  • eating, drinking and preparing meals
  • personal care
  • being appropriately clothed
  • being able to make use of the home safely
  • running and maintaining the home
  • developing and maintaining family and other personal relationships
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities for a child.

When we do an assessment with you, we will consider your wellbeing and what is important to you and your family. We will take into account whether your situation is likely to get worse in the next few months.

You may need to pay for some support yourself - we will work out how much you can afford to pay. This will be a separate financial assessment which will be done after the assessment of your care needs.

If you have more than £23,250 in savings and capital, you will have to pay the full cost of any support you require. You can still ask for an assessment of your care needs but you will not qualify for any funded support from us.

If your savings and capital drop below £23,250 contact us again and we will review your assessment.

What does the assessment involve?

The 'My Self Assessment' form will be used by you and your social care worker to identify your needs and what you want to achieve in your day-to-day life.

The questions included in 'My Self Assessment' are:

  • tell us about yourself
  • what is important to you?
  • what does a good day look like for you?
  • who are the people or groups that are important to you?
  • who gives you the support and friendship to help you do the things you want?
  • what can you do for yourself?
  • what help do you think you need and why?
  • do you have any medical conditions?
  • what areas do you think that you need support in?
  • what you would like to be different or better?
  • what would you like to be able to do?
  • how often do you need support?
  • how much of the support you need is a carer or your family willing and able to provide?
  • what living arrangements would help you to maximise your wellbeing and independence?
  • if you are offered a Personal Budget, how would you like to complete your support plan – on your own or with help from others?

These will become your 'outcomes'.

You may also find it useful to ask friends, family or carers who have helped you in the past to be part of your assessment.‌ Here is an example of who you might like to involve in your assessment:

Circle of support image

Your unpaid carers may also qualify for support in their own right. For more information see our carers support page.

Once the assessment has been done we will give you a copy of the completed assessment form.

What happens if I qualify for funded support?

If you qualify for funded support, we will tell you how much money we think you will need to pay for your support - your Personal Budget - and ask you to create your own support plan. We will help you with this if you need it.

This will show how you will use your Personal Budget to meet your care needs. 

If you qualify for support from us, you will have more choice and control over:

  • how that support is provided
  • who supports you and when.

What happens if I do not qualify for funded support?

If you do not qualify for funded support, your care worker will give you information and advice about other organisations that might be able to help you instead.

We will give you a copy of your completed assessment which can help you when finding support from other organisations.

If you disagree with the result of your assessment, you can ask us to look at your assessment again.

What happens if my circumstances change or my savings drop below £23,250?

If your circumstances change or your savings and capital drop below £23,250, contact us again and we will review your assessment.

Where can I get more information?

If you require more information please contact us.


Contact details

Post address:
Adult social care
People Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640777
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Service Centre
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street