Personal budgets


Self Directed Support is the new way we provide adult social care. If you qualify for funded support from us, you will now have more choice and control over:

  • how that support is provided
  • who supports you and when.

If you qualify for funded support, we will provide you with a Personal Budget.

What is a Personal Budget?

A sum of money you can use to buy the support you need to help you live independently. You will have to complete an assessment which asks about the aspects of your life you need help and support with. We will use the information on the form to decide how much money you can have.

What can I spend the money on?

Once you know how much money you have, you can work out a support plan. This will show how you would like to use the money to make any changes to the help you need to remain as independent as possible. You can spend the money on what you like as long as it will improve your life and you can show us that it will meet your needs.

The Personal Budget cannot be spent on anything that other money normally pays for such as food, rent, cigarettes, alcohol, or health care needs. It also cannot be spent on gambling or anything illegal.

To read examples of how people in Derby have used their Personal Budgets, visit our Customer Stories page.

How do I manage a Personal Budget?

There are a number of ways you can choose to manage all or part of your Personal Budget.

Direct Payments

A direct payment can be made to one or more of these...

  • Straight to you - You can have your Personal Budget paid into a separate bank account (not your existing current account) and you look after it. You pay for any support you receive and you keep a record of what you spend your money on.
  • Jointly to a representative - Your Personal Budget is paid to someone who agrees to act on your behalf. Your representative then spends the money on your support to meet your needs. A representative can be a family member, a friend or anyone else you choose.
  • To a Suitable Person - If a decision has been made under the Mental Capacity Act 2005 that you do not have capacity to consent to managing a direct payment and if it is in your 'best interest', your Personal Budget can be paid to a Suitable Person as defined by the Council and the law.
  • To a third party or provider - Your Personal Budget is paid directly to an organisation or support provider to either help you manage your money or your support. The organisation or support provider may charge you for this service. At all times, either you or your representative have control over how your Personal Budget is spent and will be involved in any decision making.
  • To a user trust - A trust can be set up to manage your Personal Budget on your behalf if a decision has been made under the Mental Capacity Act 2005 that you cannot consent to a direct payment and there is not a Suitable Person able to manage your money on your behalf.

Derby City Council holds the money

We can provide and arrange care and support for you and manage your Personal Budget on your behalf. If we hold the money, we will only be able to use agencies and providers that are registered with the Care Quality Commission and are on the Council's approved provider list, to provide your care and support.

How do I pay for support?

The amount of money you will have to contribute to your Personal Budget depends on your individual circumstances.

We will ask if you want us to do a financial assessment to look at your income, savings, amount of your allocated Personal Budget and your personal circumstances to work out how much you have to contribute. If your savings are above £23,250 you will have to pay the full amount towards meeting your support needs.

You don't have to have a financial assessment but if you choose not to, you will have to pay the full cost of your support. We can still offer you support with benefits advice even if you don't have a financial assessment.

The Adult Social Care financial assessment page explains more about financial assessments.

What kind of support can I buy?

You can choose to spend your Personal Budget on a variety of support to help you live an independent life, here are a few examples...

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Adults, Health and Housing
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640777
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Service Centre
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street