Housing - information and advice


What housing options are there in Derby?

Renting from private landlords

There are very few properties available through social housing. Most people are more likely to find a new home by renting from a private landlord.

For more information, visit our renting from private landlords page.

If you are on a low income and looking for private properties to rent, you may be able to get help through either:

  • the Bond Assurance Scheme. This scheme can help with a deposit for a private landlord for those people who are struggling to get a private property because they can’t afford a deposit.
  • the Rent In Advance Scheme. This scheme can pay up to a months rent in advance for customers who receive or who will receive Housing Benefit.

Buying a property

'Help to Buy' is a scheme funded by central government that's designed to help people buy their own home. For more information, visit the Help to Buy website.

Secure Council property and Housing Association tenants can find general information about Right to Buy and Right to Acquire schemes that they may be able to apply for.          

Mutual exchanges

'Derby Home Swap' is a local mutual exchange scheme that allows Council and Housing Association tenants to swap properties. Find more information on the Derby Home Swap website.

'HomeSwapper' is a national scheme that lets other council and housing association tenants know you would like to exchange your home. Visit the HomeSwapper website for more information.

Social housing

Please complete the online assessment form to:

  • get housing advice
  • find out if you would be suitable to go on the Housing Register for 'council housing' and housing through some Housing Associations.

If you are suitable to go on the register, we will let you know how to book an appointment to speak to one of our Housing Advisers, and complete an application.

For more information on how Council housing is allocated in Derby, visit our Council housing- information and advice page.

Registering with other councils

You can apply to get on the Housing Register of any council in the country, but each will have its own policy on allocating housing. Find out more from the council in the area you wish to move to. Visit the GOV.UK website to find contact details for all councils.

What can I do if I am homeless or threatened with homelessness?

Housing Options services available include:

  • housing advice
  • help for homeless people
  • access to emergency and hostel accommodation in Derby.

If you are homeless

  • with children, expecting a child or you are aged 16 to 17 years old, call us on 01332 640085 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • over 18 years of age with no dependent children call us on 01332 640085 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Outside of these office hours, telephone 01332 786968. 

If you are threatened with homelessness

Our priority is to try and prevent you from becoming homeless. We will work with you and any relevant agencies to stop you from losing your home so that you can stay where you are. Please contact us using the contact numbers listed above for office hours or email us at housing.options@derby.gov.uk

Advice from other agencies

If you are worried about paying you rent or mortgage, Shelter can provide advice to help prevent problems getting out of hand. Contact Shelter on:

You can also contact Direct Help and Advice:

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Housing Options
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640085
Minicom: 01332 640666
Housing Options
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street