The Derby Apprenticeship Hub offers free and impartial advice for employers within Derby.
Apprenticeships are work based training programmes designed to meet your business needs and combine work place learning with academic study. In 2016/2017, there was 261,100 workplaces employing apprentices in England. Apprenticeships are used to attract new talent, cut costs and tackle future skill shortages.
Apprenticeships are being designed by employer groups known as trailblazers; therefore training will be relevant for your specific industry which allows your apprentice to develop the skills they need to support the business.
You can use apprenticeships to train both new and existing employees who are moving into a new or changed job role.
Depending on the job role, an apprenticeship will take between one and four years to complete. Training is delivered flexibly; either on the-job or day release, in most cases it will be a combination of both.
For more benefits, have a look at the National Apprenticeship Service's 'Achieving the benefits of apprenticeships' guide for employers.
Your organisation wants to hire an apprentice but you don't know where to start. Follow these steps in order and you'll be on your way to hiring an apprentice.
As part of the government's drive to ensure apprenticeships are high-quality and to deliver the skills our economy needs, apprenticeship frameworks are being replaced by employer designed standards. The government expects to move from apprenticeship frameworks to standards over the course of the parliament.
An Apprenticeship framework was a definition of requirements for an apprenticeship programme. It was used by training providers, colleges and employers to ensure that all apprenticeship programmers are delivered consistently and to the agreed level.
Apprenticeship standards show what an apprentice will be doing and the skills required of them, by job role. Standards are developed by employer groups known as 'trailblazers'. More standards will be published as they are developed and approved.
You can get help from the government to pay for apprenticeship training. The amount of you get depends on whether you pay the apprenticeship levy or not. The levy has been effective since the 6th April 2017. You pay the levy if you're an employer with a payroll of over £3 million a year however this only applies to 1.3% of employers.
If you don't need to pay the levy, you pay 10% towards the cost of training and assessing your apprentice. You need to agree a payment schedule with the training organisation and pay them directly for the training. The government will pay the rest (90%) up to the funding band maximum. They'll pay it directly to the training organisation.
If you qualify to pay the levy, your business has to pay 0.5% of your payroll bill to the government every month. In addition you'll receive funds to spend on training and assessing your apprentices. The government will add 10% to the paying of training and assessing your apprentice.
You must sign an apprenticeship agreement with your apprentice.
This gives details of what you agree to do for the apprentice, including:
You can write your own apprentice agreement or download an apprenticeship agreement template.
In addition to the apprenticeship agreement, you must sign a commitment statement with your apprentice and training organisation.
It must include: