Licence - alcohol and entertainment

If you are supplying or selling alcohol, food and entertainment you will need a licence to comply with the Licensing Act 2003.

Under the Licensing Act 2003 you can apply for:

We (Derby City Council) are the licensing authority for issuing these licences. We have a Licensing policy document which explains our licensing.


The Licensing Policy

The Licensing Act 2003 requires us to review our policy every five years. Our current Licensing policy document will be reviewed in February 2021.

The four 'licensing objectives' of the Licensing Act 2003 are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm.

Do I need a licence?

Under the Licensing Act 2003 you will need a licence for 'licensable activities'. These are to:

  • sell or supply of alcohol
  • provide entertainment or entertainment facilities – known as 'regulated entertainment'
  • sell hot food or drinks between 11.00pm and 5.00am – known as 'late night refreshments'.


You need a licence to:

  • sell alcohol, including in wholesale quantities to the public
  • supply alcohol to members of a club.

Regulated entertainment and entertainment facilities

If carried out in front of an audience, you will need a licence for:

There are certain exemptions in regard to some activities, further details can be accessed from exemptions for premises licence and club premises certificates.

Late Night Refreshment

You need a licence to provide hot food or hot drink between 11.00pm and 5.00am. Premises could include mobile food sellers, such as a burger van.

How much do the licences cost?

Licensing fees are set by the Licensing Act 2003 and you must send your payment with your application for the licence to be valid.

You can view our licensing fees They are set by central government in the following way:

  • Premises are banded according to their non-domestic rateable value
  • Premises with no rateable value are deemed to be in band 'A'
  • Premises in band 'D' or 'E' that are concerned mainly with the supply of alcohol for the consumption on the premises are subject to enhanced rates
  • Additional fees are payable for large capacity premises (5,000 persons and over)
  • The initial fee is payable at the time of application
  • The application fee is not refundable if the application is withdrawn, or it is unsuccessful
  • An annual fee is payable on the anniversary of the licence being granted
  • Some exemptions apply for schools, colleges, church halls, chapel halls and community halls.

How do I apply for a licence?

All application forms relating to the Licensing Act 2003 have been prescribed by central government. The forms are available on the following pages

You will need to complete the relevant application form. 

We may use the information provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We also share this information for auditing purposes.

If posting or handing in the application form(s) (except minor variations) at our reception you are required to also serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the Responsible Authorities on the same day as the application is given to us. If the application is submitted electronically, we will provide copies to the Responsible Authorities. We can only accept applications for premises within our Local authority area .

Do you buy alcohol for onward sale or supply from a UK wholesaler?

Any business buying alcohol from a UK wholesaler for onward supply to their customers will need to check that their wholesaler has been approved by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) under the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS). For further information see the HM Revenue and Customs factsheet

How long does an application for a licence take?

The time taken to process an application depends on each individual application. The time period can range from a minimum of one month up to two months, but this could be longer if appeals are made following a committee hearing.

When an application is submitted, a 28 day statutory consultation period will follow. This allows time for local residents, businesses and Responsible Authorities to give their responses to the application - known as 'representations'. This is done by considering the four licensing objectives.

How do you enforce licensing?

The Licensing Section has an Enforcement Policy that explains the approach we take on enforcement of licensing legislation and licence conditions. We also carry out inspections to ensure that standards are maintained at licensed premises.

How do I get permission to hold a street party?

If you are planning to hold a street party, please contact our Constitutional Services Department by telephone: 01332 643644. They will send you an information pack on how to apply for road closures and inform the emergency services.

The Guide for organising street parties will give you information about organising street parties.

Is there a Cumulative Impact Policy in place in Derby?

Yes, there is a Cumulative Impact policy in place in the city. See our Licensing policy document for further details.

The Public Register

The Public Register contains information about existing applications, notices and licences. Contact the Licensing Team for any requests about the Public Register.

Safeguarding Information for Applicants

What are your responsibilities for the safeguarding of children and vulnerable people?

Licence applications

Current licence applications

Previous weekly lists of licence applications

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Thursday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Friday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641951
Minicom: 01332 640666
Fax: 01332 643299
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street